Anchos, Chipotle, Hominy, Beef, Black beens, Corn, any recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do a crockpot, stew/chili/Posole on Sunday for lunches throughout the week. I'm on a southwestern kick lately, and am wondering if anyone has a recipe that would use the following ingredients. (what I have on hand)

Stewing Beef
Ancho Chiles
Chipotle Peppers
Frozen Corn
Can of Hominy
Jar of Great northern beans
Can of black beans
chicken stock
fire roasted tomatos
Jalapenos (optional)

I've been looking at some southwestern recipes for things like pozole, and they tend to be spiced with Oregan and Cumin, which sounds great to me...

Any suggestions? I'm not adverse to pretty much just dumping everything together after browning the meat into the crock pot and adding some tomato paste, salt and a bottle of homebrew, and letting it go all day.

But does anyone actually have a recipe?

Thanks.
icon_017.gif

Any suggestions? I'm not adverse to pretty much just dumping everything together after browning the meat into the crock pot and adding some tomato paste, salt and a bottle of homebrew, and letting it go all day.

Sounds like a plan to me :D

I don't have a recipe, but this is how I cook all the time. so here goes:

Aside from the frozen corn, you didn't specify whether you are using dried, fresh, or canned ingredients, so I'm going to make some assumptions. I'm going to assume your chipotle peppers are canned in adobo, your chile ancho pods are dried, you have two to three pounds of beef, you have 1/2 to 3/4 cup of tequila on hand, and your beans and tomatoes are canned.

Cut stew beef into one inch chunks, sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little cayenne in a shallow bowl, squeeze a whole lime over it, add a tablespoon or two of worchestershire sauce and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mix well, cover and put in fridge for 2 to 4 hours, up to 8 or so max.

Break stems off of the chile ancho pods, slit open, dump seeds. Bring a little water to boil (just enough to barely cover chili pods), turn off fire and add seeded chili ancho pods to water, cover and let steep 30 minutes. Add chile flesh and 1/2 the water to a blender and puree. Add a bit more of the water if necessary to make a smooth puree. Blend in a teaspoon each onion powder and comino and a 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.

Coarsely chop a fresh jalepeno or two, a medium onion, and three or four cloves of garlic. (I'm crazy, this is not southwestern, but I'd add a stalk of finely chopped celery because that's what we do in Louisiana.) Make a seasoning mix of salt (just a little, you already salted the meat), black and white pepper (can never have enough), more cayenne if you wish, some comino, thyme, and oregano. Three or four juniper berries if you want. Grind some mustard seeds also, optionally. Set the seasonings aside.

Put some manteca or vegetable oil in an iron skillet, less than 1/4 inch deep, heat it up, add the fresh chopped vegetables except for the garlic, and saute two or three minutes. They should still be firm. Stir in the garlic at the end, cook 1/2 minute, don't let them brown. Remove the sauteed vegetables and put them aside.

Turn up the fire, add the beef to the hot oil cook over high heat until just seared, not cooked through. There should be some semi-scorched meat adhering to the bottom of the skillet. Reduce heat, add the tequila to deglaze, scraping skillet well with metal spoon, then stir in 1/2 the seasoning mix.

Add the chipotle and tomatoes and the chile ancho puree. I would suggest that you put no more than 1/3rd of a small can of chipotle peppers with adobo because otherwise it'll be too smoky and maybe too hot. Adobo is intense, and a little goes a long way. Stir in the tomatoes. Maybe a little tomato paste (1/2 small can) if you have it. Stir in enough chicken stock to keep it from scorching while you bring the mixture to a boil. My Louisiana upbringing wants a couple of bay leaves right here, but that's not southwestern either.

As soon as it boils, add the meat, the sauteed vegetables, the rest of the seasoning mix. Cover and simmer very low for 45 minutes to make the stew meat tender.

Add the canned beans, hominy, and frozen corn. Add more chicken stock to get consistency you want. Check seasonings and adjust as needed. Return to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium simmer, and cook 15 minutes.

It's chili. Serve with tortillas heated on a dry comal, or with tortilla chips, and a beer that has plenty of hop aroma and flavor to help give contrast and to sharpen your palette. SNPA or your similar homebrew would be good. Enjoy.

That's just off the top of my head, but given the ingredients you mentioned, that's what I'd do.

billtzk,

This is an amazing sounding recipe....It was pretty much what I was going for, except I didn't have any tequila on hand and I needed to get it in the crockpot before I left for the day, so I deglazed with chicken stock...The only thing I didn't add was the hominy, only because I have never had it before (except as grits) so I'm a little nervous.....Oh what the hell, I'll be right back :D

Added them.

Wow, it tastes fantastic...

I will do it next time with tequilla.

You have permission to post any of your Louisiana Recipes anytime you want you know. I'd love to do some authentic recipes.

Wow bill, you and i cook in a similar fashion!
that chili does sound yummy and you gave me a few more good ideas! Thanks.

Back