2 Starters - 1 is rocking, 1 is sucking...what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I've got two 2 liter starters for an 11 gallon Helles I'm brewing today. I started them early yesterday evening-- one is going nuts, the other is being very crappy. I'm thinking I have 3 options:

1) Just leave them be and pitch each into a separate carboy (original plan).

2) Pour half of each into each carboy so that each 5 gallon fermenter gets half of the good starter and half of the bad one.

3) Mix them now so that the good starter can help the bad one out before I pitch around 5 or 6 tonight.

What do ya'll think?

I've got two 2 liter starters for an 11 gallon Helles I'm brewing today. I started them early yesterday evening-- one is going nuts, the other is being very crappy. I'm thinking I have 3 options:

1) Just leave them be and pitch each into a separate carboy (original plan).

2) Pour half of each into each carboy so that each 5 gallon fermenter gets half of the good starter and half of the bad one.

3) Mix them now so that the good starter can help the bad one out before I pitch around 5 or 6 tonight.

What do ya'll think?

I'd just mix them now and divide the combined volume between the two carboys.

I'd like to do that-- but right after I read your reply, I started to wonder: Why is one of those starters taking off and the other not? I think I did everything pretty similarly...do you think the crappy one is still good to pitch?

Yes, it's probably still good to pitch. It's pretty common (for me anyway) for starters to not form krausen and show minimal activity.

So is your suggestion to still just pitch both into separate carboys like I originally planned?

If it makes you feel better to combine the two starters, then go for it. Yeast is pretty tough, so I'm guessing that whatever you do with it it will still most likely ferment out your beer.

If you're looking for consistent results from both beers, then you're gonna need to combine the starters before pitching. If you want to just 'see what happens', then you could separate them.

Back