Auberins RTD Sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know, an RTD is an RTD.

'da Kid
No sir.
You can purchase a NIST or DIN version, and the controller needs to know which version you are using.The calibration curve is different.
Most common is the DIN version.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

The probes are great but they don't work with LOVEs. I'd suggest buying some of the Auber PID's as a LOVE replacement. Work just as well and are cheaper.

Can anyone who has one of these tell me if the actual sensor is removable? I have a BrewTroller and just like the idea of having a nice disconnect right there at the probe. If I could replace the sensor with a Dallas/Maxim DS18S20 and rewire the connector.

Thanks,
- Krazykraut

I have a few auber RTDs that I converted to thermistors because I switched over to a BCS. However, this won't work for a brewtroller setup because those sensors are much larger than a thermistor or RTD bead. The thermal wells on the auber RTDs are a lot smaller diameter than your average 1/4" thermal well.

Thanks, that's too bad. The TO-92 package of the DS18S20 is 4.4mm wide (0.18") - if it's not too much work, could you just check what the OD is?

- Krazykraut

I have a few auber RTDs that I converted to thermistors because I switched over to a BCS. However, this won't work for a brewtroller setup because those sensors are much larger than a thermistor or RTD bead. The thermal wells on the auber RTDs are a lot smaller diameter than your average 1/4" thermal well.

how did you do this?

bbarr21 said:
how did you do this?

I unscrewed the 4 little screws that hold the probe together to get access to the sensor inside. I then desoldered the RTD and soldered in my thermistor after lengthening the leads with some bus wire. I spread some thermal paste on the thermistor bead and put it back together. They work great.

did you use a 10k ohm ntc thermistor? I tried to get the same one via pictures but I ended up getting a 100k ohm

bbarr21 said:
which love controller are you using? I have the ts2 which gives 1k ohm ptc in the specs but doesnt give the ntc spec. It definitely has the option for ntc on the controller though

I have a BCS not a love controller. The BCS uses 10K ntc thermistors and you can enter in the coefficients so you can use any 10K ntc. If the love controller doesn't allow you to enter the coefficients then you are stuck with a limited range of sensors. Even if you get a 1K ptc it may not work with the Love controller.

Back