Palate Wrecker - Hopped Wort Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
So I was enjoying a mighty tasty Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing and something interesting caught my eye. I was reading the label and read that they mash with a hopped wort. I've heard of putting hops in the mash but never using hopped wort to mash with.

Was wondering if there's something to this or if it's just a gimmick to sound cool while blowing smoke up our a**es.

I'd assume it is a gimmick, but I'm not particularly a fan of that beer ;)

I used to do mash hopping back when hops where cheap! At 30 cents an ounce, I didn't mind using them in the mash.

I don't know if they mean mash hops or boiling the hops in the brewing liquor first, but it could be either way I guess!

Yooper said:
I used to do mash hopping back when hops where cheap! At 30 cents an ounce, I didn't mind using them in the mash.

I don't know if they mean mash hops or boiling the hops in the brewing liquor first, but it could be either way I guess!

They actually mash with previously hopped wort. Weird.

I emailed them and very nicely asked them for some information about this process about 8 months ago. No reply, not even a thanks for inquiring but go F yourself....

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/images/promotional_timeline/promotional-PW.pdf

Apparently they sparge with hopped wort. Which I dunno if that means they FWH and then sparge with that or they do some sort of an abbreviated boil and then sparge with that wort.

I used to really like this beer but the ones I had recently left me wanting something more(and yes it was fresh). Ive come to the conclusion I just am not a fan of Summit hops(GF uses metric **** tons of them) and Green Flash tends to over bitter and under flavor and aroma their beers for my tastes.

Yes, they both mash AND sparge with prehopped wort. I inquired about this specific brewing technique when I toured GF back in January. They were very knowledgeable and forthcoming with information.

...Now I want a palate wrecker... :)

Drinking one right now. Certainly got my hop fix, wow! I too was curious about the hopped sparge and with a google search, landed here. Not a lot of hop aromas, but its certainly hoppy, and a tad spicy. I wonder what's bringing that on?

I'm so glad this thread was started as I was just thinking about this today while drinking a Palate Wrecker. Does mashing with pre hopped wort add bitterness or is it just aromatic? Sorry if this is an obvious answer..I'm just a beginner

bababooey said:
I'm so glad this thread was started as I was just thinking about this today while drinking a Palate Wrecker. Does mashing with pre hopped wort add bitterness or is it just aromatic? Sorry if this is an obvious answer..I'm just a beginner

Hmm... I think it just makes an okay, but novel, IPA ;)

Maybe columbus?

That's possible. Regardless, this IPA is not my favorite, but maybe it doesn't use much centennial? The IPAs I like the most tend to use a fair bit of centennial if not a whole lot. It's certainly not bad but I probably won't buy it again.

Back