Kit included cleaner, not sanitizer ...problem??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtdesh

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first 5 gallon batch on wed. I was organizing all my brew equipment when I noticed I used B brite not c-brite . Is this a problem, ??I just cleaned but didn't sanitize right?? The equipment kit was suppose to include C-brite, I didn't look closely at label

What kind of beer is it? ABV?

You will probably have it all drank up long before you have any infection problems. Fermented beer above 5-6% ABV is not a very hospitable place for other micro organisms to survive. I would get them carbed up and get them into a fridge below 40*F as soon as they are carbed. Then drink them up and you should be fine.

Should be ok. Did you taste it going into the bottles? If you bottled on Wed you could probably crack a bottle and try it. Likely it'll be AOK, as MachineShop said the alcohol should take care of anything nasty trying to take root in the beer.

8% it's an oak imperial stout. I was hoping to be able to age them for a long time. Guess ill have to drink them as soon as they carb . Not a bad prob to have .. Thank you

8% should get you out of most organisms danger zones. Even lacto will have a hard time getting started in that, and that would be the most likely culprit. Get them carbed up and then store them cold (<40F) and see how they store. I would guess that you will be fighting oxidation much more as a beginning brewer, and will notice that pop up before any infection takes hold.

Maybe you will get lucky and a brett strain got in. That could make for some really interesting beers in a few months.

Sheesh at 8% you should be fine. I thought you had some 3-4% beer.

Thank you for your responses. I just sent monster brew a email explaining how frustrated and disappointed I am, hopefully they will make it up to me. I'm sure they realize how hard it is for a first time brewer to not touch his beer for over a month , only to realize I didn't sanitize anything. I'm totally hooked on brewing and can't wait to spend some more money lol

I would go buy some Starsan, keep it around for general purpose cleaning. Kits don't provide you with enough for much sanitizing anyway.

Yep. Starsan.

I have a cheap 10 gallon tote with a lid that I keep 5 gallons of mixed up starsan in all the time. I change it out once a month or so depending on how much I've been using it. You can also mix up a spray bottle with DI water and starsan solution and keep that around for quick sanitizing of smaller parts.

Oh yeah. Starsan sanitizer & PBW cleaner all the way for me. I remember my2nd batch when I picked up a small bag of PBW (repackaged) by th lhbs. It said on step cleaner/sanitizer on the bag label. Not knowing any better at the time,I did as you did. I got lucky & the batch was excellent.

Latest posts

Back