IPA to pale ale conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
Hello,

My brother is in some sort of club and recieves Brooklyn Brew Shop kits monthly.

I usually brew extract and grain kits, though am looking to start homebrewing more and with more grain.

Long story short, he is not a big fan of IPA's and gave me his kit.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn Brew Shop - Everyday IPA Instructions.pdf

I appreciate the hoppiness and bitter of an IPA, but honestly am not much of an IPA guy myself.

Can anyone help me use these ingredients to turn this IPA into a pale ale (or a less bitter hoppy beer?)

Looking forward to hearing your ideas! Thank you!

Do you know how much cascade and columbus hops you have (in grams or ounces)? Depending on how much Columbus, you should be able to keep the 60 minute addition, but drop the 45 and 30 minute additions and add those in with the 15 and 5 minute additions or even 5 and 0 minute additions. That will reduce the IBUs and increase the hop flavor (15 & 5 = more flavor) and even aroma (5 and 0 = more aroma) by a bit.

It doesn't list what the grain amounts or OG will be, but I'd guess this would be at the low end for an IPA which is ok for a Pale Ale. If you want to reduce you could leave some base malt out (if the grain is separated). I'd probably just leave it all in there.

Back