keg polish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtyler71

Reaction score
Ok I started polishing my keg today went pretty well for the first time what do yall think

ForumRunner_20121230_175350.jpg

ForumRunner_20121230_175428.jpg

It's nice. Anheuser-Busch will be pleased. ;)

What did you use? I'm thinking about polishing up my corny kegs.

Most of my corny kegs were bought new (2.5 or 3 gallon sizes) with a satin finish. Since they spend most of their time in the dark (either the brew fridge, or basement) I don't feel the need to polish them up. Not to say I wouldn't, but not as much need. Now, my 1 gallon kegs I might just have to polish up. :D

taylor_1gallon_keg-57347.jpg

Of course, I'll need to remove the label first. :D

Dam those look nice how long did that take

The one pictured is my second one. First one started off in worse shape, so it took longer (8 hours) from start to finish. This one took 6 hours from start to finish. I also polished the top before I cut it (so it would be nice and shiny too). :D Get plenty of buffing pads and compounds.

I might set up my bench grinder with a couple of buffing wheels and use that on the 1 gallon corny keg. Should be a lot easier that way. :D

So wait..you can do this with some sandpaper on an orbital hand sander? And here I've been looking around for ages for the angle grinder pads.

So wait..you can do this with some sandpaper on an orbital hand sander? And here I've been looking around for ages for the angle grinder pads.

I used the Gator pads found at Lowe's... I have three right angle grinders, with one dedicated to cleaning up and then polishing kegs. :D I didn't want to spend the $$ on a tool I'd only use a couple of times (sander). At least the grinder will be used for other things (or can be).

I already have buffing wheels that I can use on the bench grinder for smaller items, along with more buffing compound sticks. :D

Yeah, I have both a sander and an angle grinder, but can't easily get the gator pads...perhaps a side trip for them might be in order. I imagine they work better than the sander?

Hmm, sounds like I'll have to try harder to get the gator pads...and do a little testing.

Every Lowe's I've been to either has them on display, or they're just out on the floor and need to restock. They carry them with the rest of the grinder accessories (tools section, not paint). Tell the guys there what you want and they'll either direct you to them, or get the ladder to get some more down for you.

I actually like the satin finish. The full polish also looks good but seems like it would be a PITA to keep up with

Not sure but I would think after you got it their it wouldn't be to bad just wip it down

Yes you can. I don't have a angle grinder thats why I went with the sander and worked good I did that in 2 hr. Now as far as the polish I have a old car buffer I am going to use for that. Just have to find the compound. All home depot had was a little stick of it.

Back