Dry Irish Stout in Primary for 3 weeks. Is that okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalojoe29

Reaction score
I usually leave brew in my primary for two weeks but in this case, because of my schedule, it will have to be in there for three weeks. Any issue with that?

Another thing to note, I checked it out a couple days ago (two weeks in) and it had a strong alcohol smell, which I was surprised about. Is there something wrong or will that mellow out?

It fermented very quickly.

Thanks!

Awesome thank you guys! Is there any need if, let's say I leave it in there for four weeks, to transfer it to a secondary?

How soon can I bottle this damn thing? (Sorry for the newb questions, it's my second batch ever. Northern Brewer Dry Irish Extract Kit)

Should I cascade a little sugar in there?

You should be able to bottle it now and you will to add priming sugar. What yeast did you use and at what temp did your ferment?

Awesome thank you guys! Is there any need if, let's say I leave it in there for four weeks, to transfer it to a secondary?

How soon can I bottle this damn thing? (Sorry for the newb questions, it's my second batch ever. Northern Brewer Dry Irish Extract Kit)

Nope No need to transfer to secondary. I make it a point to leave all my brews in the primary for no less then 3 weeks. I've left a Hef in the primary for 7 weeks with no ill effects.

You can bottle any time after fermentation has completed, but if you leave it in the primary for a longer period the yeast cleans off alot of the off-flavors created during fermentation. Think of it as bottle condition in a big bottle.

Nope no need to add a little sugar.

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about priming sugar for bottling? It would be best to measure out the sugar instead of "cascading a little sugar".

Neko,

I've been told by a homebrewing friend to put a little sugar into the fermenter after a couple of weeks to give the yeast a touch more "food" if you will.

This has nothing to do with priming sugar for bottling.

Does this sound weird?

Nope No need to transfer to secondary. I make it a point to leave all my brews in the primary for no less then 3 weeks. I've left a Hef in the primary for 7 weeks with no ill effects.

You can bottle any time after fermentation has completed, but if you leave it in the primary for a longer period the yeast cleans off alot of the off-flavors created during fermentation. Think of it as bottle condition in a big bottle.

Nope no need to add a little sugar.

Scuba Stan,

Thank you very much for the answer! That makes me feel a lot better.

Yes. Yes it does sound weird. there is no need to do that. adding something like that could actually do harm. Leave it be, the yeast are happy with what they've got.

Yes. Yes it does sound weird. there is no need to do that. adding something like that could actually do harm. Leave it be, the yeast are happy with what they've got.

Hi Sledge,

Okay thank you! I left the last batch alone and it turned out great.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk (or at least, not too much), but did you read the instruction sheet that came with that kit? I'm brewing the same kit right now, and I PLANNED on leaving it in the primary for three weeks, then bottling. That's what the instruction sheet said to do if you don't use a secondary.

The instructions do say that the timelines are a bit flexible, but it gives ranges for each stage and contingencies for not using a secondary... it's all right there.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk (or at least, not too much), but did you read the instruction sheet that came with that kit? I'm brewing the same kit right now, and I PLANNED on leaving it in the primary for three weeks. That's what the instruction sheet said to do if you don't use a secondary.

The instructions do say that the timelines are a bit flexible, but it gives ranges for each stage and contingencies for not using a secondary... it's all right there.

Ah, c'mon man. I looked at those instructions a few weeks back and simply forgot.

You do sound like a jerk but it is a fair point :mug:

Ah, c'mon man. I looked at those instructions a few weeks back and simply forgot.

You do sound like a jerk but it is a fair point :mug:

So... and I apologize for hitting this again... why didn't you go back and refer to the instructions when you were wondering what to do? Seriously man, this couldn't be a simpler process. Each step is laid out very clearly. Nowhere does it mention "cascading a little sugar" either... wtf is that?

My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth, would be to make a calendar of events on brewday. Mark the day you brew, the day you plan to bottle, and the day to plan to pop the first bottle open. Of course, you can always change those dates, but if you plot it all out WITH THE HELP OF THE INSTRUCTION SHEET on the day you make the beer, this type of thing becomes pretty easy.

I'm bottling the same kit this Saturday. Can't wait to try it out! Cheers. :rockin:

So... and I apologize for hitting this again... why didn't you go back and refer to the instructions when you were wondering what to do? Seriously man, this couldn't be a simpler process. Each step is laid out very clearly. Nowhere does it mention "cascading a little sugar" either... wtf is that?

My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth, would be to make a calendar of events on brewday. Mark the day you brew, the day you plan to bottle, and the day to plan to pop the first bottle open. Of course, you can always change those dates, but if you plot it all out WITH THE HELP OF THE INSTRUCTION SHEET on the day you make the beer, this type of thing becomes pretty easy.

I'm bottling the same kit this Saturday. Can't wait to try it out! Cheers. :rockin:

Hahaha like I said, fair point.

As for adding sugar to the primary a few weeks in, a homebrewing buddy does it and suggested that I should do the same. Since I'm still new at this, I thought I would ask the question on here to see if that is legitimate or not. Given the overwhelming response, it's definitely not something I want to do.

Thanks again for the help you SOB (I'll RTFM next time) and enjoy the beer! :D

Back