Grain weighing scales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you asking for brand names? i bought a digital cheapie from amazon that has a 11lb capacity, works great but i don't know the brand.

Taylor Digital Black Glass Food Scale : Target

This is the scale I use. Just an average ordinary kitchen scale. Use it to weigh hops and grains. It only has a 11 lb capacity, but I just measure and add a couple times to get the weight I want. Its also only accurate down to a tenth of an ounce, so trying to weight .25 oz exactly is difficult. When I want to get .25 oz, I just weigh in the hops until it reaches .2 oz, then add the amount to make it .3 oz, then visually divide the amount I just added by half.

The UltraShip 55 lb. scale has a detachable face which makes it easy to weigh in a 5 gallon bucket without having a problem of reading the display. It was a work horse with our most recent group grain buy and did the job well.

I have the UltraShip 55 scale too. Got the AC adapter, so I don't need to worry about batteries. I do like how the face comes off, connected by a cable (2' reach I believe). Makes weighing grain in just about anything easy. I also have the stainless cover for the platform. I typically weigh into either a 5 gallon bucket, or the bucket fermenter that came with my first kit. That's as close as the bucket comes to brewing now. :D

I have the UltraShip 55 scale too. Got the AC adapter, so I don't need to worry about batteries.

Does it work with only AC and no batteries installed? I read in a random Amazon review where someone mentioned that batteries had to be installed for the AC adapter to work. That didn't sound right to me.

I also have the stainless cover for the platform.

What is this? I haven't heard of a stainless steel cover for the scale?

The one I weigh grains in is 22$ at target, analog, and 11lb capacity. For any small amounts like hops and that I have a small digital scale that does grams and ounces... no idea why I have that ;)... you can get them at many quickie marts for around 20$, at least you can around here.

I use one that is similar to what you see at the supermarket.
20120130192637575.jpg

I use a Hanson #895 scale (That I found at an auction) for weighing bulk grain, propane, and CO2 tanks. It is accurate to 50#. I use a kitchen scale (up to 11#) for weighing specialty grains and hops. I use a cheapo gram scale for measuring water salts and minerals.

I use a starfrit 5kg (11lb) digital scale for my grains, was 10$ on sale.

I use a 7$ digital jewellers scale I got off eBay that is precise to 0.1g for hops and water salts. It was spot on with various pennies that I used to check calibration.

Latest posts

Back