cold weather BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
Now that winter is approaching I was wondering if anyone uses a 10 gallon water cooler to mash BIAB on colder temps? I dont think I can hold the mash temp very well this winter and was thinking about using a cooler with the bag to hold a consistant temp and then adding warmer water at the end for mash out at 170*

I did my first AG batches with BIAB in my cooler and it worked great (75% eff). Then I made the addition of a manifold and a valve and started praying for no stuck sparges. After two batches everything seems fine.

Have you thought about just throwing a couple of towels over your pot?
This work for me in 34 and warmer. I haven't tried any colder than that though..

I'm in Central FL, so we don't really have much of a winter, but on the 3-4 weekends that I brew during the FL winter when it is below 45-40, I'll still do my BIAB mash in the SS pot and wrap it in blankets inside on the tile floor in my mancave.

It is always a risky ventue, however, because some days SWMBO likes the smell of wort and some days she'll cut off my balls at a single wiff, though usually a risk I'm willing to take for a good mash temp...:ban:

I'm in Central FL, so we don't really have much of a winter, but on the 3-4 weekends that I brew during the FL winter when it is below 45-40, I'll still do my BIAB mash in the SS pot and wrap it in blankets inside on the tile floor in my mancave.

It is always a risky ventue, however, because some days SWMBO likes the smell of wort and some days she'll cut off my balls at a single wiff, though usually a risk I'm willing to take for a good mash temp...:ban:

Umm...., How many balls are you missing now?

I brew on the kitchen stove and just leave the pot on the burner (turned off) while I'm mashing. Using a full volume brew in a bag, wrapping the pot in a towel with another towel on the lid will keep the mash within 1 degree for the full hour. Then I just pull the bag of grain out, squeeze the wort out, and bring it to a boil. My newish stove has Calrod burners that can boil 5 gallons easily. I might take it outside to chill if it isn't too cold but when the temperature goes below zero I wimp out and chill it in the sink.

BIAB is great. But If someone has -- or is going to acquire -- a cooler for mashing, I say forget the bag, put a false bottom in the cooler and mash and batch sparge in that.

BIAB is great. But If someone has -- or is going to acquire -- a cooler for mashing, I say forget the bag, put a false bottom in the cooler and mash and batch sparge in that.

Agreed. Although some people claim it's easier clean-up mashing in a cooler with a bag. Not really sure why when you can just dump the whole thing out and and rinse.

Agreed. Although some people claim it's easier clean-up mashing in a cooler with a bag. Not really sure why when you can just dump the whole thing out and and rinse.

I mash in a cooler w/bag. No problem lifting the bag and draining. No grain in the cooler. No need to fuss w/pipes on the cooler bottom.

I'll be going into this winter the first time with BIAB outside in the garage. I chased the mash temps a little last brew using a ss keggle with no blankets. I guess I'll try the blanket idea.

Back