Ingredient Ideas For Garbage Can Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
In a few hours my local homebrew club is getting together to do what we all do best, brew beer. Today however has a special twist, there are about 20 members and each was instructed to bring one ingredient of whatever you wanted to put into a 10gal garbage can batch.

I've got a few ideas on what I could bring that are a little out of the ordinary:

Lavender
Thyme
Chamomile
Cocoa Nibs
Brett. L
Bourbon soaked oak chips
Smoked 2-Row
Bhut Jolokia chilis

Does anyone have anything else they could suggest for such an adventurous brew?

My only suggestion would be to really evaluate the donated items and then decide on a recipe based on a style. Most ( through it in because I have it) last minute recipes are poorly thought out. I'd go for something simple with 1 or to added items.

Bull

bullinachinashop said:
My only suggestion would be to really evaluate the donated items and then decide on a recipe based on a style. Most ( through it in because I have it) last minute recipes are poorly thought out. I'd go for something simple with 1 or to added items.

Bull

I disagree entirely ... I'm a huge fan of throwing together random ingredients and seeing what comes out the other end. Usually works out fine, in my experience. Styles are just historical anomalies, plenty of great tasting beers don't fit in any style.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

This is a great idea. I will be suggesting this to our club

Rum soaked oak chips. Also, please post what the recipe turned out to be, this sounds awesome.

I disagree entirely ... I'm a huge fan of throwing together random ingredients and seeing what comes out the other end. Usually works out fine, in my experience. Styles are just historical anomalies, plenty of great tasting beers don't fit in any style.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

This.

I brew by the seat of my pants, kind of like making "leftover soup". When I do brew to style, I find it helps.

Have fun. Last week I "cleaned out the closet" and made a beer I dubbed "JFB" - Just F***ing Beer. SO far the hydro samples are great. And as would have it, I took no notes - just drank beer and brewed - I'll never be able to recreate it.

i say go with the Bhut Jolokia chili

I say do this if you're ready to **** fire. I did a wing challenge where the sauce was an equal mix of Bhut, Naga, Scotch and Haberno and I could feel the stuff working through every little curve of my small and large intestine. The sauce was beyond awesome tasting for the first 2 seconds, the rest of it was horrible.

If you're going to use the pepper I would try and dry and smoke it.

Back