2" tri-clover 1.5 female NPT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bachhus

Reaction score
Anyone have a line on a 2" tri-clover fitting with a 1.5" npt female end? I've looked around but not having any luck even on ebay. I found one guy who has them for $26 but that seems high to me.

Thanks for any leads you might have!

Mark

Anyone have a line on a 2" tri-clover fitting with a 1.5" npt female end? I've looked around but not having any luck even on ebay. I found one guy who has them for $26 but that seems high to me.

Thanks for any leads you might have!

http://www.stpats.com/index.htm has them for $25. (As always I recommend searching for info on stpats as their customer service isn't the best, but if you don't need to contact them at all they are ok)

I think since that isn't a very common part you might not be able to find them very cheap. Watching ebay for used ones might be a good way, but they probably don't come up that often

That's a pretty huge chunk of SS....$25 is about the standard price....when it comes to triclovers, ya gotta pay to play! :mug:

That's a pretty huge chunk of SS....$25 is about the standard price....when it comes to triclovers, ya gotta pay to play! :mug:

Dam, figured that would be the consensus. I paid $36 shipped for a 2" tri-clover with a 1.5" male NPT and a 2" tri-clover with a 1" female NPT. Must have been a good deal on those.

I have all the 1.5" NPT ss piping from Murphys to do the RIMS build but after reading the RIMS dirty element stuff I figured I would mount the element in a tri-clover mount so I could pull the element off for easy cleaing. The element will go through the 1" NPT on the 2" tri-clover but it touches slightly because of the narow throat of the 1" NPT tri-clover. Thats why I'm looking for a 1.5" NPT female tri-clover since I already have a 1.5-1" NPT reducing bushing.

mark

If you are willing to wait for one to come up, and search through a bunch of random crap on Ebay, you might score a used one for $15. Since retail for a name brand version (Cherry Burrell, Tri-Clover, Waukesha, etc.) of this fitting is > $100, $25 is a pretty reasonable price for a new Chinese one.

For all things tri-clamp- Checking St. Pats for the general price range, then KLG Stainless on Ebay to see if he currently has one, is a good strategy. KLG is usually a few bucks cheaper, but his inventory fluctuates wildly. I think he may have one available, but you may need to email him.

I had my response in a draft, and didn't send it for a while. I now see that you need this for a heating element. Are you aware that these are NPS, as in Straight? Some NPS elements will fit in some NPT fittings, but all NPS elements will not fit in all NPT fittings. It is a tolerance/manufacturer thing.

Brewers hardware is apparently the only place with the NPS tri-clamp fittings. There is a guy who will thread a triclamp end cap for NPS, or NPT would work with that few threads. You could also just drill/lathe a big enough hole in an end cap, and then use a locknut on the backside (inside of the RIMS tube) to hold it in place.

Funny you should mention the NPS vs NPT. I am aware the element is NPS and all these fittings are NPT. In fact I have a 1" NPS tap on its way to me. Got a good used one for cheap and will just tap out the NPT to NPS.

Thanks for the leads guys, guess I will bight the bullet and pay the price.

Mark

Funny you should mention the NPS vs NPT. I am aware the element is NPS and all these fittings are NPT. In fact I have a 1" NPS tap on its way to me. Got a good used one for cheap and will just tap out the NPT to NPS.

Thanks for the leads guys, guess I will bight the bullet and pay the price.

Mark

Did you miss the part about drilling/tapping an end cap? End caps can be had for $2-3. Not sure what size end cap you would need though- 1.5" or 2". Or, do you need the full fitting for length requirements?

Since you are already going to have the tap, the only hard part would be drilling that big ass pilot hole. On a lathe, it would be easy to cut the hole.

Did you miss the part about drilling/tapping an end cap? End caps can be had for $2-3. Not sure what size end cap you would need though- 1.5" or 2". Or, do you need the full fitting for length requirements?

Since you are already going to have the tap, the only hard part would be drilling that big ass pilot hole. On a lathe, it would be easy to cut the hole.

Nope didn't miss that part, I don't have a lathe or access to one and the thread depth and strength I am expecting with having the full thread engagement is something I want. $3 for a back plate plus who knows how much for a drill bit large enough plus $9 for a lock nut and washer plus shipping puts it just a few dollars less or at the same price as the $26 shipped I found it for the tri-clover.

I kept looking around but ended up just ordering the original one I found for $26 shipped since I want to get this thing put together.

I'll let everyone know how the tapping NPS out of NPT threading goes when I do it.

Thanks for all the links and information guys.

Mark

I'll let everyone know how the tapping NPS out of NPT threading goes when I do it.

Mark

How did the thread tapping work out for you. I am thinking about doing this to my tri-clamp heater element setup to get better thread engagement.

Thanks

Back