1st shot at all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpentero

Reaction score
After took off my wort from the boil I forgot to cool it off in ice bath. I poured cold water in to make the five gallons then I pitched my yeast. OS everything going to be ok.

You'll be fine. Check the carboy in the morning, if you got bubbles your good if not pitch another shot of yeast.

Glad to hear everything worked out. I really want to start doing all grain soon, ive been doing extracts since i started brewing in sep 2010. happy to see a first time success story

How did you add water to an all grain batch to make 5 gallons. When doing all grain, you usually start off with +-7 gallons of wort, then boil down to 5 gallons, no adding water required. Maybe I'm just confused.

At least I'm giving it a shot! You can't get better without failing. Learning from your mistakes is what it takes. So I suppose every batch you made was the best? It must be because you don't offer any advice, you just let everyone know how drunk you are. Probly off store bought beer.

I'd say his point is valid, granted miscalculated boiloff can lead to the need for water additions. Although beyond this scenario I see little need for water addition in AG. Even in partial boil cases I've never had a batch get below 100 straight off the boil with 2 gallon COLD water additions, pray for the best expect the worst, give it up to 72 hours, check for activity, potentially repitch

The BIAB method can often lead to adding water if you're stove top AG brewing. How much coldwater did you add? Its unlikely you added enough to come from full boil 212 to 80 so theres a chance you slaughtered your yeast. Did you take a gravity reading?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

brewd00d said:
Glad to hear everything worked out. I really want to start doing all grain soon, ive been doing extracts since i started brewing in sep 2010. happy to see a first time success story

Success story? Maybe. Haha wrong thread?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

We just did our first HB ever and it was AG. We're in China and it's been interesting trying to get all the right equipment. The valve on our mash tun got clogged and in a panic we dumped it out and then strained it by hand. Also did both sparges that way. It's been 24hrs and it's bubbling like crazy and forming a nice Krausen head. Hopefully we didn't totally ruin it!

Now I am curious. To the OP why did you use top off water? Could we get a little more insight as to the methods you used? Also, invest in a nice thermometer as it will be your only guide as to when to pitch your yeast in the future.

Latest posts

Back