Best Apfelwein for beginner to make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my buddy into homebrewing. He said he really wants to try the apfelwein first. I have never made it, it looks real simple. Any suggestions? What kind of apple juice to use? Where can you find it? I find it hard to find juice without preservitives in them.

does anything else matter in the juice? Like citric acids etc.....? I'm afraid the preservitives will be in it and just labeled by their chemical name

The bottle should say, "No Preservatives". Click EDIT on your original Post, click advanced and see if it will let your change the Title to, "What Apple Juice for Apfelwein in Grand Rapids MI?" Might help direct people from you area who know what's available in your stores. Lots of MI people here.

If you have a Food Lion in your area they have a generic "Food Lion" brand apple juice that I used. It was pasteurized and if it had preservatives in it (can't remember) they sure didn't affect anything.

pasturizing won't hurt anything. Tree Top brand juice should not contain 'bad' preservatives.

Citric and ascorbic acid are fine. You really just need to make sure there's no 'sorbate' added.

if all else fails, frozen apple juice concentrate should not have sorbate but I think you'll find some liquid juice that fits the bill. I think when I made it the Hy-Vee store brand fit the bill.

I used generic kroger brand apple juice. Only additive was ascorbic acid, which if i remember the original post correctly, is some kind of vitamin anyhow and doesnt affect the outcome.

I'm trying to decide between EdWort's Apfelwein, and Brandon O's Graff (insipired by Ed's Apfelwein). I guess the advantage of Ed's is that it's easier (no boiling) and the advantage of Brandon's is that it's a bit smoother going down and doesn't need as long to condition?

Ultimately, I'll probably try them both.

Back