woo! just ordered a 3-gal Victory Cooler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I've resigned myself to the fact that I don't have enough space for two 10-gallon coolers (HLT / MLT) to do all grain brewing in my current place (townhome with a dinky 5x6 patio and one of them tandem garages (2 cars deep, not wide). But I still want a lot of the benefits of AG brewing and I think partial mash is my future. :)

I'm curious for those who have the Rubbermaid Victory 3-gallon cooler, do you know the thread pitch and diameter for the current spigot (if its even threaded) so that I can go to lowes or something this weekend to rig together a SS braided filter and valve, before the cooler shows up (yay ebay!)

Sorry, I'm excited, had to post :D

It's probably a standard 3/4" hole through the cooler wall. I think the spigot size is relatively standard.

If so, you can build a bulkhead and install a ball valve the same way you would do a bigger cooler. See the link in my signature for details on one solution to build it.

What kind of mixed drink is a "Victory Cooler"?

Whatever, 3 gallons ought to be plenty for for one couple, get two straws. ;>)

Thanks skifast, I just got back from my local lowes with all the parts. I forgot the white seal tape, but I think I might have some of that at home anyway. Only problem I had was getting washers, the only ones they had were huge OD, for the proper ID. I'm going to see if I can find some power steering seal washers at the shop I work at that might be more appropriate. :)

congrats on the coolers. i was happy when i got my 10 gal victories the other week.

but yeah should be a standard bulk head just have to choose copper or SS. if you go copper its fine i have copper becasue thats what came with the set up just remember to pickle the stuff.:rockin:

I got brass, but the stuff I bought isn't long enough to let me sandwich stuff on each side, i'm going to the store again tomorrow and see if I can get the rest.

I've got a buddy coming over to do a minimash on saturday so I have to be ready :)

Same thing happened to me - you have to find the right balance between the nipple length (hey now) and the number of washers you stack on the outside. Even after I got a little longer pipe (the threads don't quite meet in the middle), it still took about 3 tries to leave enough thread for a good seal, but not so much that it bottomed out.

Back