Sparging rye SUCKS...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm well into a 1+30 hour batch sparge with this Red Eye Rye grist. I even used a half pound of rice hulls...but this is just trickling into the kettle...ugh...

Well I didn't have it happen with Rye, but some wheat and unmalted wheat that I crushed too fine. I just filled up the cooler and went to sleep. Gonna be dry but that's ok by me.

Tried a 30% rye batch once, not intentionally. The guy who purchased the grain bought 4 lbs instead of 4 ounces. 18 lb bran muffin. We tried everything, including splitting the wad up and mixing the sparge water in several buckets. Ended up tossing it & getting a new batch of grain.

Dude said:
3 lbs. malted, 1 pound flaked.

GAWD the efficiency rocks the hizzle with this little cooler and stainless braid though. 89%.

Amazing! Are you squeezing grains one by one, or what? I am amazed at some of the efficiencies I see people getting and seem to be finding the braised stainless is a common factor. I have not been able to get this backed up, so I think I will need to do a little personal testing myself.

Hope the sparge is complete, the boil rolling and the buzz mighty. The pump is in the mail via USPS.

I need to fix my home made grinder. my efficeincy has dropped lately, I noticed the gap has gotten larger between the grinding wheels. :(

Yeah, I've done 50% wheat/rye batches before. Had no problem sparging. Used wheat malt and flaked rye. Make sure you don't grind the wheat to fine. Just enough to split it in half. And do a GUM rest!

Brewpastor said:
Amazing! Are you squeezing grains one by one, or what? I am amazed at some of the efficiencies I see people getting and seem to be finding the braised stainless is a common factor. I have not been able to get this backed up, so I think I will need to do a little personal testing myself.

Hope the sparge is complete, the boil rolling and the buzz mighty. The pump is in the mail via USPS.

I can back up that I think it is the stainless braid. With my false bottom system, I get closer to 80%. Id use this braid all the time but it won't stay flat on the tun and I'm afraid I'm gonna rip it out when I stir. I'll live with the worse efficiency in a false bottom system rather than come onto the nightmare of ripping out the manifold...OMG... that would be a mess.

What do I end up owing you? *readys paypal trigger finger* :D

BTW, have you gotten your beer yet? PLEASE tell me this one got to you?

Palmer says something about a specific rest temp helping to reduce the gooiness of large percentages of rye. I'm to lazy to look it up myself.

cweston said:
Palmer says something about a specific rest temp helping to reduce the gooiness of large percentages of rye. I'm to lazy to look it up myself.

The dreaded beta rest. Dude will probably try that, now that he's a decoction-masher.

Ahhh....that sucker is done. I actually over diluted the wort when I realized my efficiency was so good, so I came up at 1.060 instead of 1.063 like planned---no bother, it'll be ready faster this way!

I actually tested out a new element to the brewery today....home-made inline thermometer (BYO project).

It worked like a charm. (I tested it with another thermometer to make sure)

This is halfway through--ground water temp 68°, after chiller, 70°. :D

636-inline2.jpg

Here you can kind of see it between the chiller and the carboy.

636-inline.jpg

Chairman Cheyco said:
The dreaded beta rest. Dude will probably try that, now that he's a decoction-masher.

*shakes head in disgust* :p ;)

Chairman Cheyco said:
Your ground water temp is 68°?!?! I'll check what mine is tonight... if it's in liquid form...

Yeah! And this summer it will be 98°!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Dude said:
Yeah! And this summer it will be 98°!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Okay, I had to check. My water is running at 38°F out of the taps in my house.

I guess that's another reason to come north and get a real job, eh Dude?

Dude said:
What do I end up owing you? *readys paypal trigger finger* :D

BTW, have you gotten your beer yet? PLEASE tell me this one got to you?

$8.10 Flat Rate USPS box. I will have to get you my paypal stuff via PM.

And the beer gods brought me a box of tasties today. All safe and chilling for tomorrow's evaluation and enjoyment. I can't wait. I love tasting other people's brews.

Brewpastor said:
$8.10 Flat Rate USPS box. I will have to get you my paypal stuff via PM.

And the beer gods brought me a box of tasties today. All safe and chilling for tomorrow's evaluation and enjoyment. I can't wait. I love tasting other people's brews.

Glad it got there. Now I'm nervous. ;) A "real" beer judge, tastes my beer. :(

Honestly, I'm pretty proud of them--the ones oyu got are decent. The Smoked IPA is coming around nicely, IMHO. I am drinking a lot of that lately.

Waiting for PM! Thanks BP!

Back