enough power for a 10 gallon boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellrbrewr

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting a 15 gallon brewpot and installing two heater elements in it. Going to use it for mostly 5 gallon batches with the ability to do 10s if I want. One heater is going to be on all the time to keep the boil and the other is going to be on just to help bring to a boil. My options are a 2.5kw and 2kw heater, or a 3kw and a 1.5kw heater. My question is will the 2.5kw setup be enough to keep 10 gallons boiling, or would the 3k be better. I'd rather do the 2.5k and 2k if i can (cant find a 1.5k stainless element and I'd rather use stainless)

I use 2 x 2k elements at 120v. Works great. Might want to let us know what voltage you are going to be using. 120 or 240

I can boil 10 gal. easily w/ 2 elements at 2000w each (4000w total). I throttle one element with one of these to adjust the boil

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10760
That's a very interesting idea! How much do you need to throttle back for 10gal? I use 2kW to boil 5gal batches straight power. I was thinking 2x 2kW straight power would boil 10gal but it sounds like that is too much. I wonder if one 2kW and 1 1.5kW would boil 10gal nice? I am trying to size elements rather than put controls in.

I use the router control mostly when I use my 11 gal kettle and it is filled just shy of the top. When I use my 15 gallon kettle both 2000w elements can run full for a nice boil. I bought the router control on ebay because 2000w was a little timid, and 4000w would splash out of the kettle a bit when boiling near the rim. If you have the headspace, I think 4000w would be reasonable for 10 gallons. I have no idea how much "throttle back" is required, but I would guess its considerable....maybe the 2nd element is at 30%???

EDIT...Yea 3500 will do ten gallons as well, but will be a little slower heating sparge and strike water as well as coming up to boil. You will get a more rapid boil w/ 4kw but just sparge a greater volume and let it boil down. One thin I have done that is handy is to boil down to a certain colume rather than a spwcific time boil. I will boil my 1st hop addition for as long as it takes to reduce kettle volume and then work towards the end. I have done som brews quickly at a rapid boil...say 60 minutes. Yet other times when I want to do other things I will just maintain a more relaxed boil with just the 2 kw for say 120+ minutes...sort of a set it and forget style...and that seems to work well as well.

I was thinking 2x 2kW straight power would boil 10gal but it sounds like that is too much. I wonder if one 2kW and 1 1.5kW would boil 10gal nice? I am trying to size elements rather than put controls in.

Way to much. I have to throttle back on a 13.5 gallon boil with 4500 watts.

_

I use 2kW to boil 5gal batches straight power.

Refreshing to hear that someone is doing this...I think that this is a great, simple and easy way for someone to get started w/ electric brewing. If you read most of the threads here, there is a general notion that you NEED more wattage and a controller to brew electric...when IMHO it doesn't need to be that complicated, unless of course you WANT it to be.:mug:

Refreshing to hear that someone is doing this...I think that this is a great, simple and easy way for someone to get started w/ electric brewing. If you read most of the threads here, there is a general notion that you NEED more wattage and a controller to brew electric...when IMHO it doesn't need to be that complicated, unless of course you WANT it to be.:mug:
Thanks, I have a very simple 5gal system. MT and a BK. The BK acts as a RIMS as I recirculate throuh the MT, into the BK, then back to MT. I use an old temp controller with a built in relay that I took off of a dead vapor degreaser. Boils great with 2kW, no sparge, no chill and makes great beer.

I'm with you; some of these rigs are sexy as hell, but they are just not for me.

Way to much. I have to throttle back on a 13.5 gallon boil with 4500 watts.

_

2 2000 watt elements for about a 13-14 gallon boil. I have a heat stick in reserve, but I mostly just go with the elements.

I think 4000w is about perfect for this much liquid. I doubt you'd need to throttle it back even with 10-11 gallons. Just a bit more vigorous, but still fine in my book.

Back