"Chocolat" Stout? Anyone add hot peppers to Choc Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordie

Reaction score
Anyone try this?

I'm about to mate a chocolate stout to a chili beer or just add some cayenne and get that chocolate/heat thing happening for Chirstmas.

Any thoughts on getting a chili heat into the brew?

Gordie

sounds great...Chocolate and hot peppers is an awesomely weird great combo! I eat those chocolate bars with jalapenos all the time but most cringe when I ask if they want a bite lol.

I never did it but one way to get heat is to chop up a few peppers, boil them in 2 cups water and strain the peppers from the tea and add them with primer during bottling. (This is taken from the 2005 Gold Medal NHC winner of spice/herb/vegetable category, their recipe also calls for 8oz dried jalapenos dry hopped.)

I would go with either dried peppers or a "pepper extraction" of some kind. The post above regarding the "pepper tea" sounds pretty reasonable.

roast the peppers to bring out the flavor and sanitize them, then put them in the secondary for a few days. I love the combination also...ever try chocolate and cheese:rockin:

I would go with either dried peppers or a "pepper extraction" of some kind. The post above regarding the "pepper tea" sounds pretty reasonable.
Use dried pods (fresh is better, but dried is easy to order). I would skip the extract because usually they have been extracted via keytones which leave a bitter metallic taste behind. Plus that's an oil and it probably wouldn't mix as well as you would like with the beer.

Use dried pods (fresh is better, but dried is easy to order). I would skip the extract because usually they have been extracted via keytones which leave a bitter metallic taste behind. Plus that's an oil and it probably wouldn't mix as well as you would like with the beer.

Sorry, I guess my post wasn't clear as to what I meant.

I meant to make your own pepper extraction, using the tea method or alcohol. Putting oils in a brew is a very bad idea, if it wasn't you could just use the oil from a jar of peppers.

Why not just dried chili powder?

I'm not criticizing -- I'm just interested to know! Seems like it'd be the cheapest, easiest way to add a little heat. I like the idea!!!!!!

Back