Deciphering what equipment to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Oi! I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what bits and pieces I need to get. All of the "get started kegging" kits and "kegerator conversion kits" come with varying levels of stuff, and it's hard to figure out what I need, what's nice to have, and what I shouldn't care about.

So here's what I want to do:

I have the ubiquitous Magic Chef 7.2 chest freezer. I've already built a collar for it.

I'd like to have at least 2, possibly 4, Perlick SS faucets. I'd also like at least 2 different legs of CO2 pressure so I can be carbing 1-2 Cornies while having some on tap.

So far, I know I need the faucets and shanks to go with them. I need a regulator for the main line from the tank and a separate regulator for any other pressures I want to run simultaneously. I've seen links to the ones on Sciplus.com for that.

But that's where I end up in the weeds. Quick disconnect fittings? Picnic taps? Fittings and gauges for the regulators from Sciplus? Tubing?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

-Joe

Hi Joe, you could put a wye on the main reg so you can feed your secondary and have a carbing fitting. you should definetly invest in a checkvalve for each gas line(these seem to be the most expensive part. another wye on your secondary to feed both taps or a 4 way manifold(with separate checkvlaves) for 4 taps. although the manifold may be more expensive than the A.S.S. regulators so you may want a seperate reg for each keg. I went that route so I can serve different carbed kegs. post connectors, gas and bev for each keg and an extra gas for carbing, get the screw on connectors and fittings, it will make cleaning the lines easier as you can take all the connectors to the sink for cleaning. you might want a pressurized line cleaning kit. Picnic tap and racking cane if you plan on a BMBF. tubing- 10 feet of 3/16" for each tap, gas line I use the reinforced 1/4". all tubing can be had at Home depot. on the 3/16 get it in bulk because the wall thickness is greater and allows you to stretch it over the 1/4 in barbs without worrying about it splitting and dumping your beer. don't forget a bunch of hose clamps unless you are going to be using the Oleiter? clamps. I think that is it. post how it comes out:)

63 views and no one else has more to offer? come on guys help a fellow brewer out.

The search goes on. With the free shipping it looks like getting a 4-pack of kegs at AHS is a good deal at the moment, so I may go that way.

I've just got to work out all the other junk. Going to get my taps and shanks from Superprod, tubing from Home Depot.

So now I need regulators, check valves, and I guess fittings to go on the ball locks. Are those the 'quick disconnects' I'm reading about? Am I missing anything else?

I feel like such an idiot for not being able to figure these bits out. Am I missing a good resource somewhere?

-Joe

There are a lot of little things you don't want to forget! I just set up my kegging stuff and am very happy with everything. Google search midwest brewing and give them a call and tell them you want to talk to someone about kegging...they will tell you everything you need. I got set up for about 100 less than my LHBS quoted me on all the gear :) Good luck and happy brewing!

The search goes on. With the free shipping it looks like getting a 4-pack of kegs at AHS is a good deal at the moment, so I may go that way.

I've just got to work out all the other junk. Going to get my taps and shanks from Superprod, tubing from Home Depot.

So now I need regulators, check valves, and I guess fittings to go on the ball locks. Are those the 'quick disconnects' I'm reading about? Am I missing anything else?

I feel like such an idiot for not being able to figure these bits out. Am I missing a good resource somewhere?

-Joe

You may want to consider the Chi Company. Their prices are lower, and I'm only paying $20 shipping on 4 kegs to Seattle. It might be worth it depending on how much shipping will cost you.

Check out kegconnection.com. Todd (the owner) is great to work with and is very knowledgable.

Thanks. I've shot off an email to Kegconnection's customer service, so I'll put them to the test and report back ;)

-Joe

I got excellent service from kegconnection and I ended up buying from them because they allowed me to mix and match my kit to meet my specifications, Todd provided excellent customer service, and shipped quickly.

I just purchased my stuff for a similar set up yesterday. I ended up going through midwest because I've used them since I started brewing and have always been treated really well. I researched it for a while and went ahead and went with the brewlogic Dual tap draft system from midwest.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739

I alread had 4 kegs and I am planning on converting to a four tap system eventually. I plan on leaving the dual regulator outside of the fridge and running a line into a four way split inside the keg. The other guage will be used for priming outside of the fridge. This kit also only comes with picnic taps so I purchase 2 perlick taps and shanks and lines to go with it. I priced several different ways and this one seemed to workout the best for me. I individually priced everything as well and could build the system for about the same cost without recieving two extra kegs and a CO2 tank. (the other way had some good perks to it as well though) It was way to tough of a decision and I finally just ordered it.

I am brand new to kegging though, most the folks on here provide really great information and are way more knowledgable than me. I hope to recieve it by the weekend so I can get it up and running. I let you know how it goes if you need.

Thanks, bmac. I had checked out Midwest and that kit is definitely on my list of possibilities.

Still no word from KegConnection's great customer service. I've sent them another email giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was eaten by a server somewhere.

-Joe

I emailed KegConnection yesterday with no response yet, maybe they're busy? I'm pricing out what I want as well but have similar goals as you. 4 Perlick taps, ability to force carb (can't decide inside or out of the keezer), check valves, etc. I'm thinking the MW kit linked in this thread would be best and then I can buy the Perlicks separately.

Well I recieve my equipment from midwest. I havent spoken to them yet but the brewlogic gas requlator I recieve is differtent than the one pictured on there website. The pictured one shows the ability to control two different keg pressures and a tank fill indicator and the one I recieved only has one presure regulalator and a tank reading indictor. Off of the regualtor ther is a gas line running to a two way splitter. I could still run two kegs but its definately different from what I thought I was getting. Im sure they will take care of it though. They have been great in the past.. I set it all up but it didnt come early enough on saturday to get gas. I will hopefully have my first pour tomorrow and hopefully have the second regulator on the way. i will keep you udated. Its been realy simple so far. good luck.

I have figured out why they sent the single regulator with the splitter. There are two seperate kits and I ordered the wrong one apparently. E8006 comes with one regulator and a splitter while E8004 comes with a dual regulator. Completely my fault, no fault of Midwest.

Ok, think I've finally got things sorted out. Going to order up tomorrow morning. Other than lines, please let me know if I've missed anything. I'm going with 3 taps and 4 kegs with 2 different pressures. 2 lines off each pressure.

From Williams Brewing:

3- PERLICK FORWARD SEAL FAUCET WITH SHANK (comes with tailpiece)
1- 19" STAINLESS DRIP TRAY
1- FAUCET WRENCH
1- FAUCET BRUSH
1- BALL-LOCK PICNIC TAP

From Beverage Factory:

1- 20 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank
1- Premium Series Dual Primary CO2 Regulator Battery
1- Tank Mount Wrench
4- Ball Lock Home Brew Keg Tap Complete Set
2- Shut Off Valve - 5/16" Hose Barb Out
2- Co2 Regulator Y Splitter - Brass [MM 5460]

The regulator battery already has a shutoff on each regulator, so I got the splitter + one valve for each one.

Ooo I've got to add some BLC and keg lube on there, but I think I've got everything else basically covered.

-Joe

Ok, I have all of my equipment. The dual regulator from Micromatic has to weigh 10+ lbs. You guys really let this monstrosity hang off the CO2 tank?

-Joe

P.S. Kegconnection finally got back to me today. Apparently Benjamin has been out for the last few weeks and the other employees have dropped the ball on answering emails.

Hate to revive the thread, but I was looking to build a keezer at the same time, ending up doing so through Keg Connection.

Benjamin took excellent care of me, and quickly got me taken care of. Good to work with, and even kind to a crank like myself.

Anyways, if you are reading this months from now. I got good service from Keg Connection, and no they didn't pay me to say this.

Now how high of a collar do I build on a 7.2 magic chef so that I can put a Better Bottle in there too :)

Back