All Grain Hefe=cooked corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
My first Bavarian Hefe with WL300 yeast and it tasted like corn, I thought it was great until my girlfriend said it tasted like cooked corn and then I couldn't get past it, it does and I don't like it. I've never used this yeast before.

Very basic recipe 5lb of pilsner and 5 lb of wheat 1/2 lb rice hulls 1 oz hallertau
WL300 yeast. 60 minute mash and 90 minute boil (to lessen DMS, so I thought)
Quick chill too with a pump and shirron.

I though a long boil and quick chill would eliminate any DMS problems.
Any other thoughts??? Thanks

That's always been my belief as well, I boil for 90 minutes as well.....At no point did you cover your kettle did you?

How long are you bottle conditioning your beer?

I dont think yeast will create a DMS flavor. a 90 minute boil should be fine, but it needs to be a vigorous boil with the lid off and good ventilation.

Nope I never use a lid on my Keggle, Its has been in the bottle for 1 month, primary for 14 days and straight to the bottle for vacation. I hated to buy beer but there are alot of good ones in Maine. :) Although that Smuttynose IPA is incredible too!

Pilsner malt is notorious for DMS which causes the cooked corn flavor. To avoid this in the future do a 90 min boil evey time you use that grain.

DMS is produced throughout the boil, but it also boils off. A longer boil will lower the production rate because there is less S-methyl-methionine left. Won't eliminate it completely.

I also heard that too vigorous boil (15%/hour boil-off or more) can create DMS. The "perfect" boil-off is about 8-10%/hour.

Back