American Amber Ale Mojave Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pictures this time, though I typically have them on my Counter Insurgency Brewing FB page. I've been using California Ale yeast for a while now. I brewed a blond ale, then washed the yeast and reused into my experimental 1.125 OG ale, then washed and split that yeast cake into two more beers, this one and Revvy's Kiss Yer Cousin Kentucky rye common ale.

Here are a couple pictures from my gravity sample. It started at 1.071 and is now at 1.014. It tastes DELICIOUS! If the gravity is the same tomorrow Im going to transfer to secondary and dry hop. Hopefully bottle on Thursday

image-1010630017.jpg

image-2834499699.jpg

Hi I followed your grain Bill but changed the hops :) there is a bitterness to it when we bottled it ?

8 lbs 4.0 oz Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 81.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
3.0 oz Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
2.1 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.3 %
0.5 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7 0.3 %
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 7.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 6.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 10.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 6.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml]

Mine has the bitterness of an IPA almost. Mine is great but came out a little dark. Next time Im going to drop the carafe

WOW, I was looking for a different beer to brew and I picked this one. I brew 10 gallon batches and am too damn cheap to buy a $20 recipe program, so I simply doubled the exact recipe posted by the OP. Turned out GREAT! Albeit slightly stronger than intended. DARK red and slightly more bitter than what you would expect from a red ale. But I'm an IPA guy anyway... Good stuff, and just in time for Christmas!

Brick_Haus recommended!

Thanks to the OP for this one.

Glad you like it :)

My last batch I changed the hops. I bittered with Magnum and put over and ounce each of Citra and Centennial in at 15 minutes and the just under an ounce of each in at 1 minute. I think it was about 70 IBUs. It came out really good as a red IPA.

Hey guys, I tried to scale this recipe up to 5.5 gallons using Brewsmith and failed somewhere at it, as I had only a 1.051 OG. (hit 1.010 FG) Here's what Beersmith gave me:

9.60 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
0.15 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.4 %
0.10 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 6 0.9 %
0.02 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)

I hit 79.4 Effeciency during my mash. Beer definitely tastes good, but is a little sweet at 5.4%.

Should I have had more pale in this?

1.010 seems dry to me? Am I missing something about determining the sweetness of a recipe aside from attenuation? Curious as to the input of others on your question. Brad Smith talked about amber ales and recommended 10-20 percent crystal malts, which seems inline with this recipe.

Sent from my XT1030 using Home Brew mobile app

Sweet was the wrong word to use, I guess hitting 1.051, when it should have been 1.060 for original gravity surprised me.

Glad you like it :)

My last batch I changed the hops. I bittered with Magnum and put over and ounce each of Citra and Centennial in at 15 minutes and the just under an ounce of each in at 1 minute. I think it was about 70 IBUs. It came out really good as a red IPA.

Hello,

I have read the entire thread and you have made changes throughout. Is the original recipe (post#1) the recipe that I should brew? It looks amazing btw. Props to you, Malticulous.

That one is as good as any of them. I always have different malts around. I don't seem to ever be able to get everything I want from one supplier. So I substitute and try different maltsters and hops. This grain bill seems to stand up well with most any hop schedule.

Brewed up a 10 gallon. This is my third time with this recipe. A few minor changes. Its always a nice brew for the rotation.

I'm new to home brewing, but thought that I would try this beer because I love reds.
I may have made some errors of beginners because I cut some some corners; for instance I used only 60L and not 40 or 80L.
May I ask what each component contributes to the beer? My batch is now 2 days in and it looks good so far. I'll let you know how it tastes.

I am sorry to post this message, but I made this beer using your recipe and it tasted terrible. Too much crystal. I made it when I was less experienced at brewing and I think if 15% crystal is to be used, then Munich needs to be added to balance things out.

Just being honest, not upset or anything. G/L

Have you ever tried any other American Amber recipes that have less crystal than your recipe and has a bit of munich?

I went back to look at my notes. OG: 1.059 FG:1.013

Hey all,

I really fancy making this but I do not have the hops and Im quite broke right now. :(

Chinook,
Columbus,
Simcoe,
Centinial
Cascade.

Would any of these work or should I just bite the bullet and get the right hops.

Andy

Back