15 gallon equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
alright, i obtained a 22 gallon conical fermenter from my man Yuri but now i need the rest of the equipment before i can begin!

a friend gave me an old 13.5 gallon keg that i'm thinking of converting into a mash tun (LHBS will do it for about $60...looks like they do a pretty nice job, too)

and does this pot look alright for boiling and has anyone seen any better deals?
82 QT 304 SS Stockpot

All i need to do with it is drill a hole for the spigot and maybe one for the thermometer.

Will my regular turkey frier burner handle this?

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
DB

That pot looks fine to me, though I can't say whether it's the best deal out there since I haven't been looking lately. As for your turkey fryer, how many BTU's is it?

Are you putting together a brew sculpture?

damn, really? that's messed up. oh well, this price is still FAR better than paying for the 100L SS pots the LHBS has for $400+

c.n.budz said:
That pot looks fine to me, though I can't say whether it's the best deal out there since I haven't been looking lately. As for your turkey fryer, how many BTU's is it?

Are you putting together a brew sculpture?
i have no idea what BTUs it is. I bought it from LHBS and they couldn't tell me either. Works fine for 5 gallon batches, i barely have the thing on to get a nice rolling boil.

Maybe I'll check out the model when i i see it next (it's at my buddy's house) and try some searching. it's pretty standard, though.

We will eventually be putting together a sculpture, and when we do i'll definitely get some better burners, probably natural gas.

Constructing everything will be my friend's job after he graduates and we start going crazy in the basement...but the equipment will all be mine and i have the money, so i'm just getting things ready for now. Plus, it would be nice to get one batch going to try out this conical :)

i think i'll go ahead and purchase the stockpot. Thanks, guys.

What model turkey fryer is it? Most turkey fryers are 54,000 btus but being that you bought it at a LHBS it might be modified for them like the 1 Im buying tomorrow. I thought my LHBS Co. was selling just the cooker for a standard turkey fryer without pot for $90 and thought that was very steep until i was looking at it online and discovered it was 170,000 btu's and thought thats not bad then.

I would go with a larger pot. Like this one 102qt
The one thing I have found with these pots is that the "82qt" is right to the very top. So if you are going to do 15-20 gal batches the 82qt wont be very nice.

I have the 60qt and do 10-12 gal batches. I fight the kettle size every brew. :mad:

i figured 20.5 gallons would be enough to do my 15-16 gallon batches. the max i'll probably do in that would be 18 gallons anyway, although that would be right to the top.

i'd take your advice, but the 102 QT and bigger are a hundred or more dollars more expensive. just not worth it, IMO. i'll get a bigger pot when i get a bigger fermenter.

DeathBrewer said:
damn, really? that's messed up. oh well, this price is still FAR better than paying for the 100L SS pots the LHBS has for $400+

I paid $270 for each of my 100L at a local restaurant supply store last year... LHBS always marks up a bunch.

FSR402 said:
I have the 60qt and do 10-12 gal batches. I fight the kettle size every brew. :mad:

60Quarts is 15 gallons. How can you not fit 10-12 gallons in that? I am confused. I am looking for a pot that will allow me to do 10 gallon boils in the future. What size boil pots do most use (not using keggles) for boiling 10G batches?

IrregularPulse said:
60Quarts is 15 gallons. How can you not fit 10-12 gallons in that? I am confused. I am looking for a pot that will allow me to do 10 gallon boils in the future. What size boil pots do most use (not using keggles) for boiling 10G batches?
Well it depends on the size of the beer (OG). To do a 1.07 or less I have to start with about 14 gallons to make up for boil-off and trub loss to hops and a small amount of dead space.
This puts the top of the wort at about an inch from the top before the boil starts. The wort expands when you boil it and that puts it right to the top. Then the hot break starts and boils over. Then you add the first hops and it boils over.
See where I'm going with this?

When I do a beer that's bigger then 1.07 I have to drop to a 5 gallon batch or boil it down in two kettles until it fits into the one.

Back