Water for Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navy_Chief

Reaction score
I wanted to check and see what everybody's thoughts on the below water adjustments for an Oatmeal Stout:

Grain Bill
7 lbs Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Crystal Dark - 77L (Crisp) (75.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Pale Chocolate (Crisp) (400.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (550.0 SRM)

Water
Starting Profile ppm
Ca 35
Mg 13
Na 2
SO4 6
Cl 3
HCO3 163

Mash Mineral Additions
Gypsum 0.5g
Calcium Chloride 1.1g

Sparge Mineral Additions
Gypsum 0.7g
Calcium Chloride 1.5g

Finished Profile ppm
Ca 66
Mg 13
Na 2
SO4 28
Cl 41
HCO3 163

Hardness 218 (ppm as CaCO3)
Alkalinity 135 (ppm as CaCO3)
RA 80
SO4/Cl 0.68

Batch Volume 5.00 Gallons
Total Mash 3.63 Gallons
Total Sparge 4.94 Gallons

Potential Sparge Acid Addition (Normally Needed)
3ml Lactic 88.00%

I will be checking the pH of the sparge water and the mash prior to making any adjustments to that, but I will have baking soda and 88% Lactic Acid on standby to make any small moves that are necessary. I am shooting for a mash pH of about 5.4 at room temperature.

Well I guess that no responses means that nobody has any input and that this looks perfect.....

It looks like you have a good handle on things.

Since you have a pH meter or strips - and are prepared to make any adjustments then you are good to go. I am betting that the dark malts and crystals will knock out most of the alkalinity. Without your salt additions, I am seeing about a 5.4 mash pH prediction so be prepared to should the mash pH fall below 5.2. Bru'n seems to predict just below 5.3.

With the alkalinity in your sparge, I would adjust it to just below 6.0 pH, which should require about about 3 ml - as you estimated.

Best of Luck!

There is nothing controversial here. Your mash pH may come out above 5.4 (my prediction is 5.5) but that's not a problem and predictions are notoriously inaccurate anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.
I brewed this yesterday. I did have to add a bit of baking soda to push the pH up a bit in the mash, and I needed the full 3ml of lactic acid for the sparge water to get it close to a pH of 6. I am just getting started with adjusting water and wanted to make sure that I was not too far off track with the additions; it did not seem like it to me as all of the additions were very small and the overall numbers were not too high.

:mug:

Back