Wrong hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterPete

Reaction score
Started by second brew today and after steeping the grains I realized that I have the wrong hops.

The kit is a northern brewer white house honey porter. It was supposed to come with 3.5 grams of chinook hops put in I the beginning of the boil. I got 7 grams of uk fuggle (Alpha 4.8%).

Should I just use half of the fuggle? Only other choice would be toss the steeped grains and contact northern brewer.

Thanks

They aren't hops that are normally substituted, but I would go for it since you are already in the brew

Yeah I looked them up on possible substitutes and they weren't suggested.

Mostly worried about clashing flavors (if that's possible in a beer)

Also should I stick with the 3.5 grams suggested or throw the whole 7 grams in. I do not know the flavors of hops yet.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks. Just reached rolling boil so time to toss them in.

Will the acidic level effect the beer in other ways other than flavor?

Read up on the flavor profiles some more and it might work out. Being new to brewing I really like to get the kits for now to learn the taste of what I am putting in.

Definitely toss all of them in. I really don't think you will notice the flavor difference. Not in a honey porter. Those are really just bittering hops. For the most part, you could use any hop and make a good beer.

Thanks. Just reached rolling boil so time to toss them in.

Will the acidic level effect the beer in other ways other than flavor?

Read up on the flavor profiles some more and it might work out. Being new to brewing I really like to get the kits for now to learn the taste of what I am putting in.

No, the hop alpha acids are isomerized in the boil which is what gives the beer its bitterness that counteracts the sweetness to make a balanced beer. We usually use the higher alpha acid hops for bittering as they may not have the best aroma/flavor but that is lost in the boil anyway. Using the high alpha hops means we can use less to get the same bittering.

Back