Another "Just went AG" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergyrock

Reaction score
After 4 extract and 2 partial mash batches went really well I stepped up to AG. Thanks to all the info here the transition and DIY equipment setup was a snap.

My first AG batch was last night and went really well, an IPA with a grain bill loosely based on the Bee house IPA, only bittered with Magnum and decided to try out the HBC 342 hops.. Hit my mash temps, had to increase volume by .5g to raise the temp a bit but overall no snags and (if I did the numbers right) my BHE was right at 80% and the OG of 1.075.

Fermentor is bubbling away and i am excited to taste my first AG Batch.

I am going to do my second batch this weekend and use the exact same grain bill and see if I can do things a little better in the mash or at least have consistency. I think with how cold it is in my garage I need to raise my strike temp a little and also I am going to put the grains in the house for a day so they are not so cold when I dough in.

Again thanks for all the help and info from all the posts!

Check out this page http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml to help figure out exact temperatures. Definitely put some HOT water in your MT while heating the strike water to bring it up to temp in the meantime.

I use iBrewmaster for the iPad for calculating temps (among other things), and love it. There's an iPhone version as well.

Cool thanks for the links! I will look them over before brew day and get a plan in place.

Back