Brewing Accident w/ Pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RmikeVT

Reaction score
So,

I was brewing Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH and took some 170* sparge water to the foot. My batch sparge had run dry, I stuck my mash paddle into the grain bed just to put it somewhere and I guess I freed up some liquid and while I was doing something else took some sparge water to my foot. Check out the blister

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=87462&stc=1&d=1354938300

20121207_222759 (1).jpg

Its a race...will the beer be ready before it heals? I am going for a 3 week grain to glass and want to serve this for a New Years Eve party.

Heh...got a similar injury only to my left foot. Burned in the same places. Mine were 2nd and 3rd though. I burned myself by putting my wort chiller in the boil kettle for the last 5 min. There was some water in there that shot out when the chiller heated up. My drunk ass couldn't get out of the way fast enough...

Thank goodness I have a few friends in the burn unit at work! It took months to heal.

In real breweries, the brewers wear rubber boots. I wonder if I should buy a cheap pair for brewing. It would probably have prevented this injury.

Sliced my finger on a hose clamp before it was all over too. This beer better be good.

Had shoes and socks on. Was pretty surprised to see a blister when I took my shoe off.

I have a younger brother who was badly burned as a toddler when an urn of hot coffee fell on him. His chest is covered from scars where they did skin grafts.

The doctors said the damage happened because of the sweatshirt he was wearing. The thick shirt contained and insulated the heat on his chest for long enough to cause the damage. Without the shirt, the coffee would have run over his skin quickly. I'm guessing he might still have been burned, but the skin would have healed quickly.

Pain personified! Me and a friend had a mishap lifting 5 gallons of sparge water to sit it on a wall under my carport that we used to gravity feed. He had one side and I had the other and it got off balance and water splashed onto his hand. Although he was wearing leather gloves, the heat left a good sized 2nd degree burn. He was a hoss though and thank God he didn't drop the pot! Did I mention that we were drinking? LOL

Now its all pumps and hoses for me! No more lifting pots of near boiling water while drinking...I bought a plate chiller and I have also converted to electric heat so no more immersion chiller steam vomit or propane flamethrowers either.

There is always a safer way, just spend a few dollars more.

Back