Taking your equipment to a friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
Finally found some good homebrew buddies! Has anyone ever packed up all their brewing equipment and taken it to a friend's house to have a double/triple batch brew day with multiple mashtuns, burners, etc? Some friends and I will attempt it this weekend, but am worried about transporting all the gear, plus the unfermented beer in a carboy on the way back home.
Any other ideas for fun brew days with friends?:mug:

It's fun to do that stuff transporting isn't bad just don't hit pot holes my brew buddy and I actually split cost on equipment so we get badass stuff works out well haha

I've done it a few time with some of the guys on here. Never had a problem.. Walk through your brew day in your head so you don't forget anything, or make a list the night before. I also pitched the yeast when I got home.. I make all grain batches, so It can be a lot of gear.

Thanks for the tips guys. We'll both be doing all-grain batches and it does seem like A LOT of gear to bring. We've also been throwing around the idea of just using one set of equipment (minus the carboy of course) and staggering the start times a bit.

my bro in-law is coming to mine for christmas and were doing a bourbon barrel oak beer on Xmas eve. Can't wait. It will be my first brew day with someone else. :)

I brew often at work with my gear and have even dragged my entire single tier down to the shop for big brew day. I have also hosted brew parties were a few other brewers brought gear over.

I am in the planning stages of trying to get/assemble an AG ultra mobile brewery for 3-6 gallon batches. It will not be ready until the summer at the earliest.

Thanks for the tips guys. We'll both be doing all-grain batches and it does seem like A LOT of gear to bring. We've also been throwing around the idea of just using one set of equipment (minus the carboy of course) and staggering the start times a bit.

This is great way to go. My brew buddy and I have done several batches this way. You'll each want to have your own brew pot so you can heat water separately, but it works out pretty well when you are starting the mash on the second beer as the first one starts its boil. It does add some time to your brewday, but it's not that bad if you keep on top of getting water heated up.

I do it all the time simply because I can't brew in my apartment and my only brew buddy up here doesn't have equipment. Carboy ends up riding shotgun in my small coupe with all the AG gear barely fitting.

It's one of the reasons that I have gotten into BIAB been teaching to newer brewers who found that kits/extract are just to expensive and didn't think that they had the space or could afford getting into all grain. I like to say it's about the beer

Well, the adventure went well, nothing was forgotten on the way to my friend's house, but a few things were forgotten on the way home. Thankfully, I remembered the carboy full of beer! Which fits perfectly and stable right below the front seat. An Imperial Red and Black IPA are in the books.
It is a bit of work loading and unload gear, but having buddies around and the fact that both people can brew their own batch makes it worth it. We may try sharing equipment next week and staggering the start times.

I do it all the time, and not just to friends, but to group brew days like "Teach a Friend to Brew Day" or the AHA Big brew. We get about 50 folks brewing on those days, ALL bringing their gear. Some people bring trailers hauling herms and rims systems even.

30611_387808174066_5827524_n.jpg

30611_387808104066_6172988_n.jpg

DSCN2798.jpg

We usually have a tent of homebrewtalkers.

DSCN2812.jpg

A lot of us from HBT get together quite regularly and brew together. I've lived the last decade in lofts or condos with no yardspace, so if I want to do full volume brews I almost always have to haul my gear somewhere.

There's no problem with transporting your fermenter, as long as you make sure it won't spill. Otherwise the agitation is just a form of adding oxygen to the wort.

It's not really a big deal. I think it's part of the fun of brewing is getting a group together to brew, and that requires folks to haul their gear someplace.

Glad to hear it went well! My hubby and I have hauled all of our AG equipment and brewed with friends before - boy am I glad we have a hatchback! All the equipment just barely fit! We did a 10gallon batch so we had two carboys strapped in to the back seat on the way home! It is quite a bit of fun to group brew, but quite a bit of equipment to move. i'm not sure we will be doing it again anytime too soon.

Back