Cold adaptation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
Anyone purposely keep the heat low in the house and the car as the season changes and days shorten? I've been trying it, and it isn't uncomfortable though I am hungrier than usual, but nothing a little bacon, ground beef topped with cheese doesn't solve. I will say when you are hungry, even a little bit of homebrew goes a longggg way!

This cat Jack Kruse has some crazy info on this, I haven't tried the ice packs but am just trying to stay in short sleeves without a jacket as long as possible. My fingers get cold fast though that's the only thing I don't like, this cat has so much info on his site this isn't the exact article I'm looking for but Check it: http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-13-the-faqs/

And because this is the drunekn ramblings forum I am going to close with this wonderful Bill Withers video.. damn sing it Mr Withers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, and sometimes even 9 o'clock. Hm I was curious on your username, sonofgrok, is that a reference to Mark Sisson/Mark's Daily Apple by any chance? Com'n don't just nitpick my speling, what do you think of that link? DANG that is not the right link, that link is just confusing, I can't find the one I'm looking for apologies may be in order.

That's right, and sometimes even 9 o'clock. Hm I was curious on your username, sonofgrok, is that a reference to Mark Sisson/Mark's Daily Apple by any chance? Com'n don't just nitpick my speling, what do you think of that link?

Actually I was one of Mark's OG followers. Had my own rather successful site for quite a while. I bet you can find many of my recipes still floating around on Mark's site. Wasn't nitpicking your spelling, just pointing out possible drinkage going on :D

Haha that sounds nice, yes, not only possible, but also quite likely drinakge going on! That Jack Kruse cat has some really interesting/weird info on there, I mean so fringe I have never seen some of the things he talks about talked about elsewhere. Like his research on cold adaptation/thermogenesis, I guess partly based on his readings from Navy Seal documents. That link I gave isn't the right one, that link I don't understand 90% of what he's saying. There's another one where he talks about sitting in his unheated hot tub in the winter with ice packs on his chest, that is the one that interests me greatly. White adipose to brown adipose tissue conversion in the abdomen is extremely interseting ...

Now that we have a heatpump in the bedroom, I keep the house around 60F. Of course, I have to heat things up when my wife gets home from work. Born and raised in Portland and zero cold tolerance.

I don't buy the white fat to brown fat conversion. It wasn't until very recently that it was documented that such a conversion could even happen in adults and since the converted fat is interior, I doubt Mr. Kruse has any evidence that his methods do squat. I do know that exposure to cold results in increased tolerance, though. After spending the Fall and early Winter in Idaho Falls, ID, I flew down to Tucson, AZ for the holidays. My family was in parkas, I walked off the plane with my jacket under my arm. It was 65F warmer there than when I got on the plane in I.F.

Excellent insights, thank you. I always just find myself intrigued by his posts because they seem very unique. Whether I'm going to be getting into my bathtub with a 20lb bag of ice on my chest will remain to be seen. I'm not saying I'm not tempted, but dang I do a lot of silly things when enjoying homebrew.

I have noticed, now that we are getting into the lower 40s and upper 30s, a few more of the locals are starting to wear jackets. I will have to switch to long sleeves in another month or so and the wife will want me to start carrying my coat around.
Acclimation - that's a good word for it because it sure is hot in the lower 48 and Hawaii.

That sounds nice, that's roughly what we're getting in the mornings here now, and I can still tolerate that for short periods in short sleeves. I wouldn't say it's pleasant but doable. I've been keeping the heat off in the car so far. I have noticed I've been a bit hungrier than normal. Weight seems to be maintaining which is my main concern, I lost a good amount of lbs in recent years and am paranoid of it coming back, maybe that's my root issue.

My wife was complaining about the cold two nights ago. I didn't have a problem because I've been out doing stuff and getting used to it. But that's the way she is, preferring to bundle up and turn up the heat and electric blankets to just living with it and getting used to it. She's always been averse to the cold though. She gets mad when I suggest she just gets more active to warm up...

Latest posts

Back