BCS 460 is the bane of my existence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHoppyGuy

Reaction score
Okay, Here is the project:
BCS 460
24VAC Honeywell Gas valves w/intermittent spark igniters
SSR 4 relay 5V module

Note: this system was working and the same wiring has worked for other brew stands we have built (BrewSteel.com)
All grounds are tied together
24VAC Transformer runs power to panel mounted switch
From switch power goes to N.O. relay contact
Common relay contact connected to gas valve ignition module

Using Output 0 (tried 0 - 3) manually
- Nothing attached to the BCS - BCS stays connected Output 0 remains on
- BCS attached to relay - BCS stays connected Output 0 remains on
- BCS attached to relay, Gas Valve igniter NOT grounded - igniter fires, BCS stays connected Output 0 remains on
- Direct jumper between relay contacts, igniter grounded - igniter fires
- BCS attached to relay, Gas Valve igniter grounded - igniter fires for a split second, BCS disconnects

I have tried 3 different relay modules

I am am stumped. Please help if you can.

Hoppy,
Email me some pics and the wiring diagram and I'll take a stab.

Also, what model valve?

Just looked it up. You need to keep everything on the 5v side of the house isolated from the igniter/24v side.

Think of the BCS grounds as -5v commons instead of actual grounds.

We're talking 250ma and 5v Max.

Any more than that on the BCS -5v and you could let the magic smoke out of the box...

@#$%!!! SSR relay module... pretty sure there's voltage feeding back through the contacts...

4 SSR Relay Module/board
only thing left in the equation

and you pretty sure their SSR relays... I have many years experience in controls systems automation dating back to the mid '70s

TGIF!!
Fixed!! Replaced the relay module with puck style SSRs and we have contact!!

:rockin:

Can you show the two different relays that you used?

I used a small DC-DC SSR IC for my igniters. It was a pretty simple setup as they are the BBQ style ones powered by a 1.5V battery.

Gas Valve
P1040766.jpg

Ignition Module
P1040765.jpg

Igniter/Pilot assembly
P1040767.jpg

SSR Relay module (Left) Puck Style SSR (Right)
P1040768.jpg

The one on the left is not an SSR. They are coil relays using darlington transistors (the little round black items) for low voltage switching (0-5V). Yeah, you can't use those.

So I've learned... why then can they be used for Arduino boards?

You can use them with the BCS just fine. Just not for igniters. I have an 8 channel board from the same company that I use to control my motorized ball valves. You need the opto-isolation that a true SSR gives you so the igniter spark can't jump the coil.

What's wrong with the existing offerings out there? If it's cost, have you approached either company about being a reseller?

Cost is not the issue. They are relatively inexpensive. Maybe we want our own solution that addresses shortcomings. Maybe I want to compete. Take a look at our stands and you see we like thinking outside the kettle.

Woot!
Glad ya got that one sorted. ;)

luhrks: Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to call and help me sort this out. It saved my head from clumps of hair missing! :fro:

This forum is first class - Seriously. I have used several and this one far exceeds. Keep it up y'all! :mug:

The spark ignition modules generate a lot of electrical noise, things work better when transformer and ignition are mounted in separate enclosure and ignitor wiring does not enter enclosure with BCS module.

The spark ignition modules generate a lot of electrical noise, things work better when transformer and ignition are mounted in separate enclosure and ignitor wiring does not enter enclosure with BCS module.

BCS and Network Bridge are located in a separate enclosure.
Not using that style anymore. Using the Smart Gas valves now where everything is mounted on the valve and all you need to supply is your 24VAC

How many functions are needed for a home brewing control system?,all the current offerings are on/off control, temperature measurement, and level, not exotic but functional. Not sure what the needs are and what type of user interface is needed, basic manual control, or up to most functions and calculations made for easier use for the less tech experienced folks.

We have customers who want "exotic". I'm not an engineer but grew up in the control systems arena. Worked on some very large control panels for refineries and other industrial applications so I am quite aware of different capabilities and applications. Wired thousands of relays, did a lot of drafting and design, this is nothing new to me. Back in '72 I was wondering why showers did not have temperature settings for each bather and how it could be done.

It's not necessarily the particular functions but rather the shortcomings of current brewing controllers that I would like to address.

I have done the far edge of brewing automation, now working on a scaled version of that with some off the shelf boards and a touch application for an ARM front end with 7" touch screen. The application will probably end up as a single screen with icons for helper popup screens for additional functions, and run time configuration of IO instead of dedicated positions like the current PLC front ends.
This is just a down time activity for me at this point, just curious to see what it can do with a bit of tinkering.

EXACTLY!!
The one thing I dislike about your gallery is that the photos are to @#$!! small.
A media PC tucked away and a touch screen... is what I envision.

BTW Kladue, I would love to see your brew system and pick your brain.

OneHoppyGuy said:
EXACTLY!!
The one thing I dislike about your gallery is that the photos are to @#$!! small.
A media PC tucked away and a touch screen... is what I envision.

BTW Kladue, I would love to see your brew system and pick your brain.

Google Raspberry Pi .
if I was inclined to go down that road Kurt, that's the direction I'd go.

Kladue,
Those screen caps made lil Elvis put on weight.

Google Raspberry Pi .
if I was inclined to go down that road Kurt, that's the direction I'd go.

Cool Thanks. One problem... I wouldn't know where to start. My plate is full and don't have time to learn it. I need to contract it out

The Puck style SSR relays did NOT fix the problem. I had to replace the gas valves for a type with hot surface igniter. GRRRRRR

OneHoppyGuy said:
BCS and Network Bridge are located in a separate enclosure.
Not using that style anymore. Using the Smart Gas valves now where everything is mounted on the valve and all you need to supply is your 24VAC

I've been bragging about the Honeywell SmartValves every chance I get, far superior to the two piece set up. Less clutter and places for things to go wrong. Cheers!!

Well... where were you 4 $#%^!! months ago when I needed you?!!
Yeh, some of us learn the hard way. I didn't discover them until I started browsing around my usual supplier (Pex Supply).

Max - you're the one with the sick brew room. I showed that t the SWMBO and even she cried. You are one evil twisted man! Can I come over and brew with you? :tank:

Max - you're the one with the sick brew room. I showed that t the SWMBO and even she cried. You are one evil twisted man! Can I come over and brew with you? :tank:

Thanks, Welcome to come over and brew anytime. You could teach me some west coast tricks.:mug:

I think most are scared away from the Honeywell Smartvalves due to the cost, but if you add them up and your time has any value as you have found they are well worth the coin. Besides I scored mine on eBay for $75.00! I use the intermittent hot surface ignition with pilot. The only drawback I found is the delay lighting pilot before the burner is lit. Just took some time fooling with the BCS parameters to get it worked out. Once you get it your golden.

For us, a full furnace setup isn't an option. It's called LIABILITY.
At the price of Asco solenoids and the other pieces needed, it's hard to believe there's any real cost savings. Plus, it's simple, straight forward and proven. And now that we have discovered the Smart Valves, it's even simpler - 3 wires and done.

In my IMO, cutting corners with the gas supply is foolish.

OneHoppyGuy said:
For us, a full furnace setup isn't an option. It's called LIABILITY.
At the price of Asco solenoids and the other pieces needed, it's hard to believe there's any real cost savings. Plus, it's simple, straight forward and proven. And now that we have discovered the Smart Valves, it's even simpler - 3 wires and done.

In my IMO, cutting corners with the gas supply is foolish.

I think you meant to say "a furnace valve is the only option"

My brew system is fixed indoors and anything less than a furnace valve was not an option. As you said it is proven and much safer than the similar Asco valve set ups as used on the original Brutus 10. My father was in the propane business for his entire career and I've heard all the horror stories. Propane unlike natural gas is lighter than air and pools at ground level making it even more dangerous indoors. For me the SmartVales were an easy choice when it comes to furnace valves due to their simplicity and I highly suggest them to anyone building a gas brew system.

customer called... BCS is backed to its old tricks. I ordered another BCS. I am getting really frustrated

Can't really blame it on the BCS. There are long threads at the BrewTroller forums about igniters knocking the BT units out also. It just comes down to properly isolating the things so the igniter doesn't scramble the processor.

My thoughts as well.

Even if it's not bricked, it's been significantly weakened/compromised.

Back