Hop Substitute for Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perimeter

Reaction score
I have an IPA on the stove right now and realized I don't have any Cascade hops. Rookie mistake. I thought I bought some, but no.

Out of the following which would be closest:

UK Northdown
Perle
Challenger
Brambling Cross

Thanks!

Boy, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but none of them are substitutes at all for cascade, especially in an IPA. Do you have any other hops at all, especially any citrusy hops?

Agreed. If you have any 'C' hops available, use them. Otherwise, good luck. Noble hops are not typically good in an IPA, but the. Again, maybe you'll create some amazing new style and make a dynamite brew. Good luck!

I also have sorachi, spalz, hallertau, chinook, but I have less than the 1oz the recipe calls for. I'm guessing chinook is closest out of those?

I also have sorachi, spalz, hallertau, chinook, but I have less than the 1oz the recipe calls for. I'm guessing chinook is closest out of those?

chinook is the best, but sorachi might work. It's lemony, not grapefruity like cascade, but maybe a mix of sorachi and chinook might give you what you're looking for with cascade.

If I had to choose dryhops for this style and based on what you have on hand:

Best
Chinook

Decent
Sorachi Ace (combined with Chinook in smaller proportions)

Not so Good
US Perle
US Hallertau
UK Challenger
UK Northdown

Worst
Brambling Cross
GR Perle
GR Hallertau
Fuggle
Spalz

None will smell/taste like Cascades, but Chinook by itself will come the closest. Your batch size will determine the amount of dryhops needed.

You could also skip dryhopping entirely or just use the 0.8 oz. Chinook. It might be better than muddling it with spicy, Noble flavors or overdoing it with Sorachi, where you might end up with a very chemical-lemon like aroma akin to floor cleaner.

What kind of rookie has nine varieties of hops on-hand? Rookie mistake my arse ;)

(Double-wink, that's just a joke)
(sensitive people here lately)
;)
:ban:
:mug:

What kind of rookie has nine varieties of hops on-hand? Rookie mistake my arse ;)

;)

YEAH! Seriously! I wish I had all those hops just sitting around in case I screw up.

psymonkey said:

;)

Haha, they were just 1oz bags of each, I just don't get much opportunity to go to the brew store, so when I was there last I stocked up.

Thanks for the quick advice. I used primarily chinook with some Sorachi at 45 minutes into the boil. All I can tell you so far is that it smells good when the airlock bubbles. I'll let you all know in a few weeks.

Back