DFH 60: LHBS didn't have Warrior; went with Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I went to brew a PM version of the DFH 60 Minute recipe thats in "Extreme Brewing" by none other than DFH's Sam Calagione.

The recipe calls for 1.5oz of hops spread out over 60 minutes. .5oz each of Warrior, Simcoe, and Amarillo Gold. my LHBS doesn't have warrior so I went with columbus (12.5aa vs 15aa) and upped it to .75oz of the columbus.

Anyone ever interchange these two? I'm curious how different I should expect this beer to be.

Dude I guess I'm going to have to ship the whole 5 gallons to you for disposal, right? :)

I think this is going to be the first beer I prime with DME as opposed to sugar. I want tiny bubbles.

Tomahawk is probably closer, but I think the Simcoe and Amarillo dominate the flavor & aroma anyway. Nothing wrong with Columbus though, I buy it by the pound.

Uh, David, aren't Tomahawk and Columbus the same thing? I swear I've read that "Tomahawk" was just a trademark name for Columbus... :confused:

I personally think you made a great choice. I dont know how Columbus and Warrior stack up, but Columbus is probably my favorite high AAU hop. It may not taste exactly like DFH, but I would be willing to bet it is going to be mighty tasty.

the_bird said:
Uh, David, aren't Tomahawk and Columbus the same thing? I swear I've read that "Tomahawk" was just a trademark name for Columbus... :confused:

Yeah, that's correct. Same cultivar.

-D

and from what ive heard, there will be no more production of the Warrior hops.

Can anyone confirm that?

My understanding is that they're getting extremely difficult to get this season due to the warehouse fire in Yakima knocking out a lot of high alpha varieties.

I'd love to know where you heard that they are gone for good, they were an extremely successfsul cultivar because of the Alpha content.

-D

Llarian said:
My understanding is that they're getting extremely difficult to get this season due to the warehouse fire in Yakima knocking out a lot of high alpha varieties.
Yes, and Columbus is getting hard to find for the same reason. Glad I got both Warrior and Columbus last time I ordered from Freshops.

Llarian said:
I'd love to know where you heard that they are gone for good, they were an extremely successfsul cultivar because of the Alpha content.

-D

I hope not. That's the first I've heard of that. Found nothing on the Yakima Chief website about it, and they ought to know. Hmmm...:confused:

I'm hoping this year's harvest eases things a bit.

http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/warrioryc005.html

A guy at my LHBS said that ownership or rights to Warrior was obtained by some company, and they were moving toward Columbus and not producing Warrior info.

He "seemed" to know what he was talking about because the local brewery (Ballast Point) uses Warrior and now has to find a replacement. He mentioned who specifically made this decision, but i cant remember. Ill see what i can find out.

I too was told by the LHBS that Warrior hops would no longer be available....They do still grow don't they ? Is there someone higher up the Home brewer (microbrewer) chain of command that we may ask ? I'd also like to know. Shane

I had the same problem with my IPA, could not get the Warrior. But I went with the Magnums instead. Mainly because I knew the name and heard good things about it and the AAU's were what I needed.
We will see how it turns out.

Let us know how yours is. I want to do a 60 and 90 minute clone.

I received the following response from HopUnion:

Hello Dylan,

The Warrior is still being grown. All hops are getting to be in short
supply as there are not enough acres planted. Warrior will be very hard
to get, but again is still being grown. Not all good news, but puts you
more in the know.

Cheers,

Ralph Olson

Hopunion LLC

-D

I had a feeling this would be the case-You just can't stop growing something ??
Thanks for the input Dylan. Shane

Back