Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fighthouse

Reaction score
This recipe is inspired by the Powdered Peanut Butter Porter recipe. Even though there was a lot of helpful information in that thread, there seemed to be conflicting opinions about how to impart the chocolate and peanut butter flavor. The procedure I have chosen to follow is to use Smuckers all natural peanut butter (Does anyone have good advice on how to de-oil it?), and to add 2lbs at the end of the boil, and then another pound in the secondary. I will also add 5oz of cocoa powder to the secondary. Other than that, the rest of the process will just be like a regular oatmeal stout.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout
Specialty Beer
Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 5.46 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 75.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 34.8 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 43.5 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 8.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 30.1 IBUs
1.00 lb Peanut Butter (Secondary 21.0 days)
2.00 lb Peanut Butter (Boil 10.0 mins)
5.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Fat Free) (Secondary 21.0 days)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 38.3 IBUs
Est Color: 39.5 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 3.89 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 14.95 qt of water at 165.5 F 154.0 F 60 min

Created with BeerSmith

I have not created a lot of recipes yet, and this is kind of uncharted territory, so input is not only welcomed it is encouraged:mug:

I made a Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout using Smuckers Natural Creamy PB and had great results. Mine was an extract beer (not that it really matters I guess). I left the PB sit at room temperature on my kitchen counter and skimmed the oil off the top every day until I felt I had removed as much as I could. Putting it in the refrigerator might help seperation, not sure.

I added 2lbs at 15 min, it wasn't over powering with PB flavor but gave the beer a nice nutty taste I thought. If I do it again I would probably add another lb or 2. Not sure how it would work by adding it directly to the fermenter, I'm interested to hear your results.

As far as de-oiling peanut butter, the only method I've seen is to spread it on paper towels and let the oil get wicked off that way.

I've been de-oiling 2 jars (2lbs) of Smuckers all natural PB for close to two weeks now. I spread it across a large cookie sheet, and have sandwiched it with paper towels, so far I have changed the bottom layer once, and the top layer 3 times. I'm not too sure how much more oil I can absorb off it. It is too the point where if I grab an end of it and lift up, rather than bend, it will break off.

I am thinking I am going to try and brew this recipe this weekend. Previously I was thinking of adding chocolate to the secondary only, and input about adding some to the boil also?

Back