Brew Dog Hardcore IPA .vs. BYO recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
Another clone, this time Scotland's Brew Dog Hardcore IPA. Recipe was published in BYO from Brew Dog themselves. That said, clearly, the clone is darker; in fact I call shenanigans as there's no way they're getting 100% Maris Otter to come out that light. The "real thing" was very badly under-carbonated as well, across all 3 bottles I had. That made it taste cloyingly sweet compared to my clone.

Yeah, that's right, mine's better. ;-)

beer71.jpg

Another clone, this time Scotland's Brew Dog Hardcore IPA. Recipe was published in BYO from Brew Dog themselves. That said, clearly, the clone is darker; in fact I call shenanigans as there's no way they're getting 100% Maris Otter to come out that light. The "real thing" was very badly under-carbonated as well, across all 3 bottles I had. That made it taste cloyingly sweet compared to my clone.

Looks tasty J the bottle i bought was under carbed as well the cap didn't seem on very tight either.
whats going on with the writing on the flip top? it looks alien lol
:off: did you see that the brew hut has dry dock bottling caps for sale:ban:

Looks tasty J the bottle i bought was under carbed as well the cap didn't seem on very tight either.
whats going on with the writing on the flip top? it looks alien lol
:off: did you see that the brew hut has dry dock bottling caps for sale:ban:

Hah! I should've been a doctor. :D

I use TBH oxygen caps for my crown top bottles. In fact, I'm just about ready to hand off all my swings to a brewing bud. As soon as the kegerator is done, I'll be kegging 3 gallons and crown capping whatever's left.

Hah! I should've been a doctor. :D

I use TBH oxygen caps for my crown top bottles. In fact, I'm just about ready to hand off all my swings to a brewing bud. As soon as the kegerator is done, I'll be kegging 3 gallons and crown capping whatever's left.

I think the ones with the dry dock logo are oxi barrier as well. pulling a pint from a kegorator is amazing, are you going to use 3 gallon cornies?

just tapped my first keg in 7 months I missed it

3 gal cornies are the plan, but they're so damn expensive. Unless I come across a sale in the next couple months, I'll probably just do partial fills on standard 5 gal ones.

So what was the recipe?

Brew Dog posted several of their recipes in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO. Might be worth picking up a copy if you're interested in their brews.

Hardcore IPA:
5 gal, OG: 1.084, FG: 1.020
IBU: 150 , SRM: 11

17.5 lbs Maris Otter
20 AAU Simcoe @ 90
20 AAU Warrior @ 90
13 AAU Chinook @ 0
2 oz Amarillo dry hopped
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 or US-05

60 min mash @ 149F

Brew Dog posted several of their recipes in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO. Might be worth picking up a copy if you're interested in their brews.

Hardcore IPA:
5 gal, OG: 1.084, FG: 1.020
IBU: 150 , SRM: 11

17.5 lbs Maris Otter
20 AAU Simcoe @ 90
20 AAU Warrior @ 90
13 AAU Chinook @ 0
2 oz Amarillo dry hopped
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 or US-05

60 min mash @ 149F

That sounds so good. I'll have to try that one out. SOON! Gonna need a rather large starter for it too...

Dredging up a slightly old post to comment on the commercial version. It's AWESOME. I haven't been impressed with Brew Dog and their ABV dick waving, but this beer is REALLY GOOD. Mine was well carbonated, clear and slightly coppery in color, had very persistent head/lacing, and it smelled and tasted like my vision of an IIPA. It probably helps that Simcoe/Amarillo are my favorite hops.

As for the recipe, I'd add a few ounces of Crystal 90 to the mash and substitute Amarillo and/or Simcoe for Chinook at flameout .

I've had a couple since that were better carbonated. Maybe they're getting their process a bit more repeatable (or are drinking less during brewdays). I still think better IPAs can be had from the West coast or here in CO, but I won't turn down a HCIPA.

Where Brew Dog really REALLY shines is in their Paradox series. Magnificent beers. Tough as hell to find states-side though.

Hmm. I thought their strong point was the animal carcass beer coozies.

I was prepared to be underwhelmed by HCIPA. I've only had two other Brew Dog beers - Dogma, and Paradox Isle of Arran. Dogma was palatable but kind of weird. The Paradox brew had a lot of promise, but it, too, suffered badly from undercarbonation. The aroma and flavor were really good, but I had a hard time enjoying it because of its poor mouthfeel.

I haven't been impressed with Brew Dog and their ABV dick waving, but this beer is REALLY GOOD.

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure either, but I got a Sink the Bismarck in the mail from Brew Dog and split it between myself and three other friends.

It was a fantastic experience. Intense apricot. Delicious.

Not an every day... or even every six month beer.... but it was great for a once in a while sort of thing.

Could it be possible a simple "lost in translation" event has occurred between U.S. and U.K. gallons. Might account for the colour difference as obviously if the Recipe hasn't been modified for U.S. publication then you are missing about a gallon (U.S.) of brewing water to start with. You could probably expect a more efficient mash from Brew-dog themselves also which might up the ABV a little and retain a lighter colour.

What were your O.G and F.G. figures?

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back