Lovibond and Cara-pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Hey--I was going to bew this afternoon a cherry wheat ale using Cara-pils. (My recipe was devised from a conglomeration of several I had reviewed). The Cara-pils used were 4-8 L, the only ones I was able to grab at my lame local HBS are 10-15 L. Should I work some math to reduce the amount I am using? The recipe that used this grain called for 1 lb. Is there some hop-like AAU formula I should know about? :confused:

I've also read several reasons for using this grain, including color, body and flavor. What is its primary function? I'm aiming for a lighter color ale, but have never brewed anything lighter than a Scotch ale.

The rest of the recipe uses wheat malt extract (haven't yet reached AG), hallertau hops, belgian yeast, and an as of yet unspecified amount of cherries in the secondary.

Thanks.

Carapils promotes head formation and retention and gives the beer a fuller rounder flavour. As the starches have already been converted during malting

Balances body and flavor without adding color or sweetness. A lighter crystal type malt, the Dextrines add body, mouth-feel as well as head retention. They are best when mashed with your pale malt due to the lack of enzymes. Or steeped with your other grains. Use 5-20% for these characteristics and without adding color.

http://www.brewsource.com/ProdNav/Ing_67.asp

what is your grain bill?

Thanks. That was actually the only grain I had intended to use. I had considered crystal 20, but want to keep a lighter color (assuming the wheat extract not darkening the wort too much) and don't want to make it sweet up front (considering the addition of several pounds of cherries later). I was thinking of going with 8-12 oz carapils. Would you recommend anything?

Thanks again.

if you're just trying to keep it light then no i wouldn't add any other adjunct grain, most tend to be darker than carapils... just your base grain, pale malt (two row) or a pilsner malt which will give you a very light color, but you are doing an extract with a grain steepe correct, not a partial or mini-mash.

t1master, thanks for all your help! Should I be concerned about the lovibond rating or is that less a concern for any reason? I was going to go with 0.75 lbs of 10-15 L. The recipes I looked at suggested 1# of 4-8 L. The color I am trying for is your avg wheat ale. I know the cherries will darken it later.

the difference you have there with the lovibond of the grain is not going to make all that much difference in color/clarity...

i don't know what the malt extract will do, it always seemed to darken my beers more than i thought it would, especially canned stuff. i think the wheat malt extract is similar in color to your standard light malt extract so you should be good to go man!

:)

Back