slow start...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfitzgerald

Reaction score
so quick random question. i brewed a peanut butter porter yesterday, and it wasn't the smoothest brew day for some reason, just felt off all round:) had a big boil over and made a mess in the garage... darn. i chilled the wort down to 70 pitched the yeast (S-04 dry) and left it to do it's thing in an area with about 63 ambient temp. right before i was headed off to bed, i noticed that before fermentation started, the wort was still cooling off, and sucked some of the sanitizer solution (star san) from the airlock into the carboy. how might this effect the final beer? i know they always say don't fear the bubbles, but what about a tablespoon or more in a 2.75G batch? any weird or off flavors? today when i got up it's off to the races, and bubbling away as normal, but NO krausen on the beer, but that could be from using the powder peanut butter in the last 5 min of boil?

cool! thanks!

good to hear, thanks! and yeah, it's weird, still no krusen on the beer at all, but this airlock is bubbling like a mad man, maybe most EVER. it's a full on steady stream of gas expelling out of there! every time i try to top off the airlock with a bit more sanitizer, it pretty much bubbles straight out the top. i guess all great signs!

as far as, what the heck is a peanut butter porter... this is what i was working off of. i tired the PB2 route....
http://www.simplybeer.com/2010/12/09/homebrew-peanut-butter-porter-version-2/

cheers and thanks again!

Shouldn't be a big deal, but this is why I always use whatever vodka I have lying around instead of sanitizer in the airlock.

Should do the same job, and suckback won't have any effect on the beer flavor.

good to hear, thanks! and yeah, it's weird, still no krusen on the beer at all, but this airlock is bubbling like a mad man, maybe most EVER. it's a full on steady stream of gas expelling out of there! every time i try to top off the airlock with a bit more sanitizer, it pretty much bubbles straight out the top. i guess all great signs!

as far as, what the heck is a peanut butter porter... this is what i was working off of. i tired the PB2 route....
http://www.simplybeer.com/2010/12/09/homebrew-peanut-butter-porter-version-2/

cheers and thanks again!

Give us an update when you have a chance. How's the flavor?

This is how active it was yesterday... When I went to check on it, the airlock was dry, so I poured a bit of sanitizer in there, and I now know why it kept drying up... So after this round finally put a blow off tube on there.

Ill update later, maybe when moving to secondary... Like I said, had quite a few flubs on this brew (now including a dry airlock a couple of times), so we'll see how it turns out.

.....oh, i guess i can't upload videos, just pics... so just put this in motion and think of those bubbles coming out like a fish tank air pump:)

Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 4.19.32 PM.png

Back