Porter stayed in secondary 6 weeks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I brewed up a porter awhile back and, well, one thing led to another and I didn't get around to bottling it until last week. It stayed in the secondary for 6 weeks instead of the 3 I had intended. I ended up with about 2/3 of a bottle at the end, so I drank it. It tasted much better than any of my other batches did at bottling time. Does this mean it should be ready to drink relatively soon if it already tasted good right out of the carboy?

mmditter said:
I brewed up a porter awhile back and, well, one thing led to another and I didn't get around to bottling it until last week. It stayed in the secondary for 6 weeks instead of the 3 I had intended. I ended up with about 2/3 of a bottle at the end, so I drank it. It tasted much better than any of my other batches did at bottling time. Does this mean it should be ready to drink relatively soon if it already tasted good right out of the carboy?

I started an aging thread a few days ago (that no one even responded to :mad: ), but yes, you'll have a great beer when it is bottled. My smoked porter is just now at its peak and I brewed that before Thanksgiving.

I actually did much the same thing with a month ago porter, only for not quite as long. My advice would be to leave it a full 3 weeks in the bottle, or it might taste funny... Your yeast still have to get rid of the nasty by-products when they start fermenting again in the bottle. I think.

you've still got to give it time to carbonate, but since you got a good bit of aging and melding of flavors from the long secondary, I'm inclined to say that you can probably pop one of these open in about a week or so.

-walker

It actually was a little carbonated already when I got it out of the carboy. I'd like to be patient, but I'm running a bit low on my supply lately. Time to get busy brewing again, I guess.

Dude, if you're REAL careful about not moving beer much, it'll keep a significant quantity of CO2 dissolved.... that's why you HAVE to stir home made wine... to get rid of it, or you get sparking Cabernet Sauvignon, which is just arful.

yup. under 1 atmosphere of pressure, you will be able to get keep almost 1 volume of CO2 in your beer, IIRC. (I think it's something like 0.8 volumes, maybe?)

-walker

Back