Apfelwein Yeast Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast do you like best?

• Montrachet (Edwort's old standby)

• Nottingham

• Windsor

• Cote Des Blancs

• Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast

• Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast

• Wyeast 4766 Cider

• Other Champaign Yeast (please specify)

• Other Ale Yeast (please specify)

• Lager Yeast (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I use a Narbonne variety, Lalvin 71B-2211

"(14% alcohol tolerance) For producing wines with a fruity aroma. Ideal for concentrates.

Selected in Narbonne at the Institut national de recherche en agriculture (INRA) by J Maugenet. The selection was designed to isolate yeasts that would produce a fruity yet fresh character in wine that would live long after fermentation.

The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant & complete fermentation between 15° & 30°C (59° & 86°F) that has the ability to metabolize high amounts (20%-40%) of malic acid. In addition to producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature quickly, it does not extract a great deal of phenols from the must so the maturation time is further decreased.

The 71B is used primarily by professional winemakers for young wines such as vin nouveau & has been found to be very suitable for blush & residual sugar whites. For grapes in regions naturally high in acid, the partial metabolism of malic acid helps soften the wine. The 71B also has the ability to produce significant esters & higher alcohols, making it an excellent choice for fermenting concentrates."

Source

I have used Montrachet, Cotes de Blanc and Lalvin EC-118, the last being my favorite. The Wyeast Cider got some good play though- might try it next.

I marked "Other champagne yeast", but I preferred Lalvin D-47. My current batch is sitting on Montrachet though.

I have done nottingham and didn't care for it. It had way too much of an acidic twang (not to be mistaken with infection) and became increasingly undrinkable. I hear the Hefe yeasts are great though.... I may try it.

Didn't like the Montrachet, but loved the Cotes and the Cotes/Montrachet Blend that I made.

I'm going to try WB06 this weekend. Wish me luck!

monotreachet was not bad I found as it ages at about 7 months it had kind of a bready tatse to it....and after a year... well, let me go open one and try it

edit still slightly bready it has smoothed out and is not so pronounced. I have a batch going right now with 4766 cider yeast Although I did not add the sugar for the extra kick. I think the mono is just to dry

used a gervin gv3? champagne yeast , fermentation ok , wish i stopped it before finished at medium dry as now its very dry , gonna have to sweeten

I'm currently trying out Lalvin's EC-1118 simply because I picked up like five packs at one point and that's what I have around.

Uh hum, Montrachet, but of course! Nothing else compares and a true EAC wouldn't even dare try anything else. :D

EdWort said:
Uh hum, Montrachet, but of course! Nothing else compares and a true EAC wouldn't even dare try anything else. :D

Hey Ed, doesn't that company make another wine yeast that they list as being used for ciders as well? Just curious of your yeast comparisons for cider.

EAC? In't that: Egotistical ******* Complainer? ;)

I've used both Montrachet and Cotes...Montrachet produced a much better product, nice and dry, but also sweet with some apple flavoring. The Cotes a-wein was very cloudy and bitter, with not so much on the apple flavor. Kind of hooch-ish, even after two months in the bottle.

Next time I am going with a hefe yeast - post # 1857 in the A-wein thread says it's great!

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Hey Ed, doesn't that company make another wine yeast that they list as being used for ciders as well? Just curious of your yeast comparisons for cider.

EAC? In't that: Egotistical ******* Complainer? ;)

Don't know about any other Red Star yeasts for Apfelwein.

EAC'ness is something that just comes to you. Those who seek it out shall not find it. :D

So far my favorite is Red Star Pasteur Champaign yeast. But I have one going with white labs american hefeweizen yeast (WLP320), can't wait to try that one!

I haven't used another yeast, but I really enjoyed the Possmann's Apfelwein and I like the way the Montrachet finishes the wine (fairly similar) and although I am sure that I will try others - this will be the one that I go back to.

White Labs California Ale Yeast.

O.G. 1.060 ---F.G. 1.000

This yeast is very neutral in flavor. Very Dry. It helps bring out the apple flavor. GOOD!

My recipe was
5 Gal Apple Juice
2 lbs Dark Brown Sugar disolved in 1q of Juice brought up to 180 degrees
2 t Yeast Nutriant
California Ale Yeast.

Racked after a month.
Sat in Secondary untill I couldn't wait any longer. It tasted great at the racking.

Would like to hear how the Nottingham turned out - I have an extra packet laying around and would might try it...

I've used the Danstar Notty dry yeast for a mead and it worked out pretty well. I kept the temp very strictly controlled though (I believe it was 68F) to make sure I didn't get the fruity esters that you get with a British yeast strain. After a year, its pretty nice (typical for a mead to age 1-2 years before drinking)

So far my favorite is Red Star Pasteur Champaign yeast. But I have one going with white labs american hefeweizen yeast (WLP320), can't wait to try that one!

Curious to see how mine turns out, its 3 gallons tree top, 2 gallons cranberry/raspberry, 1# Brown sugar and 3# Honey. Decided to try the Pasteur Champagne yeast to see how it turns out as i already have a Montrachet going.

Back