Should I add water agents to just the strike water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustBeZ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Pale Ale last weekend and added gypsum to the mash because our water is low in sulfates and calcium. I wasn't to sure on whether to add it to the sparge water as well so I just played it safe and tossed it in the mash. We'll be doing a RIS in a couple of weeks and according to beersmith I should use a little bit of chalk. I'm not able to find much information on when to add different water agents to my brewing water.

Should I add these water agents to just the strike water or the sparge water as well?

Then it really doesn't matter. Add it to your strike water, your sparge water or in the kettle or all of the above. You are just trying to get it in the finished product.

BTW, IIRC, there are issues with getting chalk to dissolve so you may want to consider that. There's a lot more information and people that know a lot more about water than me in the Brew Science forum here.

Back