Run wine though water distiller to kill yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
I was wondering if instead of using campden tablets or chilling wine to inhibit yeast growth/reproduction, if I were to distill the wine using a pressure cooker and some copper tubing (same as home distilling water) would this have an adverse affect on my wine? Would it kill the yeast? (Seems like it would). What about just boiling?

campden doesnt kill yeast.. I just added alittle bit a couple days ago and my airlock is still bubbling along..... If you get your wine to like 180 degrees it will probably kill the yeast....

campden doesnt kill yeast.. I just added alittle bit a couple days ago and my airlock is still bubbling along..... If you get your wine to like 180 degrees it will probably kill the yeast....

I know, campden only inhibits activity. I'm concerned that boiling would evaporate away the alcohol, similar to how the brandy is produced. I think I'll just chill kill the yeast when it's done.

The only thing distilling will get you is jail time...

PUBLIC FORUMS are not the place to discuss illegal activities...just a warning.

Distilling will get you jail time depending on where you are and how much you do. Either way, best leave to it alone.

Cold crashing just puts the yeast in suspension. It will start up again once it gets warm. It's a good idea if you have enough room to store it in you fridge. Try pasturising it as suggested in the sticky at the top of the wines page. Dishwashers are quite effective as well (so i've heard).

Or just buy some fermention stopper...

Dicky.

When your wine finishes fermenting, (hydrometer reading stays the same for 3 or 4 days) get some potassium sorbate and treat as directed, with both p sorbate and k-met. the sorbate will not kill the yeast but it prevents the yeast from repodusing after a few days the last of the yeast will die off. so after a week you can backsweeten.
jim

"Dormant" = "temporary". What happens when your wine warms up over 41ºF?

Oh, it'll start fermenting again once it warms up a bit.

Cold crashing works pretty good with ale yeast and racking off of the lees so that very little yeast remains. Then it might work. But if someone used wine yeast, once the wine got back up in the 50s, it'll start fermenting again.

Indeed, I said it wouldn't kill it. It should stop it fermenting but it's not a permanent solution without actually stabilising it somehow.

Oh, it'll start fermenting again once it warms up a bit.

Cold crashing works pretty good with ale yeast and racking off of the lees so that very little yeast remains. Then it might work. But if someone used wine yeast, once the wine got back up in the 50s, it'll start fermenting again.

Yep pretty much, that's what you can expect for the most part.. However, if you make it cold enough for long enough it should loose all of it's viability (a.k.a killing it), I'm sure temperature and time needed would vary by strain too, like you were saying w/wine vs. ale yeast. 41ºF is the threshold for Saccharomyces cerevisiae to become dormant, the colder the temperature the more of an adverse affect it will have on the yeast's viability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomyces_cerevisiae

"Dormant" = "temporary". What happens when your wine warms up over 41ºF?

If it is only dormant (and not killed by keeping it at temperatures much lower than 41ºF for extended periods of time (for Saccharomyces cerevisiae)), then it would be just like Yoopers said. In fact without experimenting with the exact strain you plan on using, that is exactly what I would expect (to stay on the safe side). Different strains of yeast react at differently at different temperatures. I'd test on a portion of a batch using the same yeast you want to use this method for before trying it on a large scale.

What if you just go the other direction and pasteurize?

I was a worried about evaporating the alcohol but it looks like this is great suggestion.. Thanks! Apparently pasteurizing (well.. heating) wine for preservation purposes has been practiced in China since 1117...

Pasteurization (History) - Wikipedia

Should save some money in hard times :rockin:

I just realized, you could probably kill the remaining yeast by adding a small amount of a higher concentration alcohol. Especially if you've exhausted the yeast's threshold for alcohol production and it's dying from the high abv already.

Latest posts

Back