need gas burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterfuse

Reaction score
ive done two partial mashes so far and ive been thinking about moving to all grain and i'm trying to do it for next to nothing. ive got an old keg and il pick up a cooler box somewhere for mashing. i have an old gass bbq in my garage which will never be used and it has a 2 burner system, im guessing around 30,000 btu per hour. would this be enough power to boil the 6.5 gallons of water or so in my keggle?

Thanks

If you have the keggle and the BBQ, why not try boiling about 7g water?
Even if it does work, by guess is that much of the heat would escape and not be directed to the keggle. This would result in high propane usage, and it may well be cheaper in the long run to invest in a dedicated burner.

-a.

Last edited by a moderator:
peterfuse said:
...and i'm trying to do it for next to nothing....

Thanks

Sorry, I should really stop skimming:mad:
EDIT: I'm such a turd. double sorry. Yes, Ireland sounds much better than where I'm from:(

Castledawson, Ireland sounds like an awesome place to live, but you prabably don't have a Wal-Mart there, huh? I think you need at least need a basic turkey fryer set-up. Good luck, tho.

hey yeah ive been looking everywhere for turkey fryer burner type things here in Ireland and the UK but i cant find them. im not going to pay for postage from the US cus that'd be crazy. then i looked at some UK homebrew forums and everyone seems to use electric elements borrowed from kitchen boiling kettles or immersions heaters. they also use plastic boiling pots which sounds wired to me. would anyone recommend this setup because i cant find these gas burners on local sites anywhere?

PS i took the bbq apart and fired up the gas burner and it wasnt a very impressive flame. i'd image 7gallons of water and a large SS keg would take a large amount of heat to boil?

You guy know that those 'banjo burners' were originaly made for water heaters?

When I started on the cheap, I used a burner from a wall heater. It would have worked better if it was for propane, it was for natural gas. So it was a bit smokey. Until I found a turkey fryer without the pot, but with adjusable regualator, for $5.

Anyhow, salvaging an old gas water heater burner could be the cheap ticket, especialy if it is for propane. I used the control mechanism too- it gave me a pilot light system too.

Back