Something on top of my Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerJosh

Reaction score
So I started some home brewing in the summer and one of the projects that I took on was a small test batch of Apfelwein. Here's the recipe:

4.5L jug
4.2L of Allen's apple juice
200g of suger (i think that it was turbinado, my notes are lacking on this...)
pitched EC-1118 and fermented at 19-21 degrees celsius.
OG: 1.056
FG: 0.998

It had finished fermenting and had cleared sometime in September and instead of just leaving it I got it in my head to rack it into another jug, only the secondary jug was also 4.5L and ended up with a fair amount of head space. The only thing that I can think of was that I was bored at the time, I've long since learned that headspace = bad.
Since then I've noticed this stuff on top of the Apfelwien and I'm not really sure as to what it is or what to do with it. Any thoughts?

02.19.11%20Apfelwein.JPG

It sure seems like you have some headspace in there. If you're aging something, it really should be topped up to within an inch or two of the bung, or as near the top as possible.

@beninan - I didn't know that it was possible for such a skin to show up like that. When I first saw it I was wondering about pitching it, but figured that I would wait and see and post here first before doing anything with it. And thanks for the welcome!

@Yooper - Aye, I don't know what I was thinking at the time when I racked it. I think that I was just bored at the time and racking it off of the lees was something to do. I'll need to pick up some smaller jugs for aging future projects to avoid such head space again.

Back