Another Bottle Bomb Question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHeadBrew25

Reaction score
Alright, so here's the scenario (try your best to ignore all the nood mistakes):

So I just finished bottling an IIPA extract kit, which I dry-hopped heavily (w/o a hop bag) and when all was said and done I was left with approximately 3 gallons out of a 5 gallon batch due to large amount of trub and hop material still left in the secondary.

The kit came with 4.5 oz of priming sugar, which I foolishly did not adjust to the proper amount and simply added the entire 4.5 oz to the beer before bottling.

So my question is does this recipe of 3 gallons with 4.5 oz. of priming sugar spell bottle bombs or just an overcarbed IIPA?

By the way, the FG was where is should have been and had been holding steady for several days, so no worries there.

Thanks in advance! Brew on.

You will get approximately 3.6 volumes of Co2, which is what the weizen style calls for. You shouldn't get bottle bombs if you store them at room temp, but it will be overcarbonated for the style.

I just bottled 4.153 gallons of Kölsch with 5 oz of priming sugar and it's fine...well over carbed, but no bombs (about 3.2 CO2 volumes). By my calcs you did about 3.6 COs volumes.

Someone with more experience will have to comment of the strength of bottles at that CO2 volume.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're sure fermentation was complete prior to bottling. By my calculations (BeerSmith) 4.5 oz of priming sugar would put you at about 3.6 volumes of CO2. Thus, no bottle bombs; just a more sparkly IIPA! Personally, I'm overly paranoid about all my brewing operations, so I tuck away my bottles in a covered plastic container (just in case). That way, I'm not tip-toeing ninja style everytime I pass through my brewery room in fear of shrapnel!

Dan

I also made the same mistake last week with my first batch. I have not had any bottle bombs and am letting the beer carb at lower temps to slow down any overcarbing. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Back