Irish Moss=chunky fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
It may be because its my first beer in a clear carboy, but is fermenting beer supposed to be chunky? like... little chunks.

Im assuming its the irish moss doing its thing, but wanted to check. Thanks

Could be that, could be yeast too... it looks nasty in there for a week or two ;)

Yeh I used whirlfloc which is similar and I get that. Cold break will precipitate out and form chunks. I don't know the exact science behind it, but my beer looks different depending on the yeast I use too.

Watch out, next thing you know your be putting a lava lamp behind the primary and putting on some mood music. It's pretty cool actually. :)
But yea, that's normal.

thread revival!! after a few experiences the past months i would like to report my findings with using lots of Irish Moss.

for months i used NO Irish Moss and would have cloudy beers, haze, normal fermentation, etc. typical stuff you expect when using no clearing/fining agents. Then i ordered a pound of Irish Moss in my last order and have been using generous amounts. this photo is the primary fermentation following the krausen falling; very chunky. we've replicated this in the past few batches using three different yeasts, all displaying "chunky" appearances. all yeasts were used previously with no signs of chunkiness. i have seen many, many fermentations in my day, and only since i've stepped up the amount of Irish Moss have i witnessed these chunky developments. fwiw all beers tastes delicious with no off flavors or contamination. i do 30 gallon batches using 6 different carboys and the results are homogeneous in the fact all the carboys show the same characteristics, so it's no fluke...

chunkyfermentation.jpg

Back