what do you people do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty73741

Reaction score
I work in an open office. It is a converted house. I have an agent in the office. that IS 100% negative about everything. Bitching complaining about everything from people, her family to the president. I found her negativy brings me down. I went back to the gym eating healthy & found her negativy is not good for me. what do you people do to deal with BS like this. I cant cann her she is making us money in a down real estate markert.

any ideas.

I cant use headphones have to answer the phone

Not much you can do, sorry. Either grin and bear it or find another job. Maybe just finding a way to make the time pass and tune her out as much as possible. Good Luck, sounds like it blows goats.

Darn... I use headphones. When I am sitting at the gate trying to read the flight release and think... I turn on my ZEN and tune out people and commotion. It is amazing how much more quickly and accurately I can accomplish work with music pumped into my head.

just fustrating me. I'm sitting here hearing her ***** ***** *****. I wish i had my own office. I work with my father so a new job is kinda out of the question. I have my bad days but i dont understand how people are negative all the time

Charm her with your cheer! I take great enjoyment in being overly complimentary and happy around glum and downtrodden people. Most of the time they just quip back with dismal remarks, but sometimes it helps them feel better. Also, it adds a funny and sarcastic aspect for me which makes dealing with them no longer a chore but kind of fun like a game.

When work gets you down, do something to make it better. If everyone just complained all the time, nothing would ever change.

I work in an open office. It is a converted house. I have an agent in the office. that IS 100% negative about everything. Bitching complaining about everything from people, her family to the president. I found her negativy brings me down. I went back to the gym eating healthy & found her negativy is not good for me. what do you people do to deal with BS like this. I cant cann her she is making us money in a down real estate markert.

any ideas.

I cant use headphones have to answer the phone

RELAX, DON'T WORRY, HAVE A HOMEBREW

Start eating things like dried fish and Durian at your desk. Neither her, nor anyone else for that matter, will hang around and bum you out anymore! No one on the phone will no any different.

There are a few like that where I work; I ignore them. I keep my conversation limited strictly to work related matters and do not respond to anything else. Eventually, they get the clue and stop talking to me. May not work in your situation as it sounds like it is just the two of you in the office.

+1 to what both Boerderij_Kabouter and Beerthoven said. I use both methods on Debbie Downers, particularly the part where you ignore or give very little response. Most people don't hang around long if you just mumble or seem disinterested in their talk. Being super-Polyanna about her troubles will probably get her to STFU too, because most times people just want commiseration and attention, not sunshiney-rainbow-chin-up advice.

Why don't you just talk to the person about it?

Or .... try to out ***** her. Complain constantly about your hives, XYZ zipper conspiracy, read InfoWars and complain about everything Alex Jones lists.

Mention rashes in obscure locations or volcanic diarrhea. That will keep her from bitchin' about stupid stuff and keep your conversations work related.

Or, it could completely turn her on. Just saying. Those kind of weirdos are out there.

Excuse me while I go vomit.

Is it your company? Are you her supervisor? Have you helped her see how bad she's making it for everyone else?

Communicate the negative impact she is having and show her some other ways to deal with the negative crap she's spewing.

If that doesn't work, every time she spouts negative crap, holler gibberish over her voice. She'll get the idea.

I have so has my dad, but she one of the only one of my agents making money right now, so it is kinda a touch situation. I goto work & leave all my negativty at home to a point. she just brings it everywhere with her

...she one of the only one of my agents making money right now... she just brings it everywhere with her

Hell, maybe she's onto something here! I think you should all try to be a little more negative and see if you can drive up sales. Not to the exclusion of whiskey, of course.

If there are more than a handful of people in the office, try the old anonymous letter on her desk.

Keep it brief, to the point and not a personal attack.

"Dear Valued Coworker,

While we appreciate your hard work, it is the general consensus of everyone here that you have a very negative attitude and your constant complaining is takings its toll on your coworkers.

We are reaching out to you because if it were not for this negative energy you continue to spread, everyone one here would find you much more delightful to be around.

We hope you take this for what it is...a sincere desire for a better relationship with your coworkers and a positive, energetic working environment.

Thanks and have a great day..."

If this doesn't work, toss her out the second story window. Then she'll have something to complain about.

if yuo have to answer the phones then get a phonebox that allows you to pump music into it and use a phone headset . that one allows you to connect to your computer and phone and lets you use streaming sites for computer sound ;-)

I see three ways to approach this:
1 -Since you both have already discussed this with her (I'm assuming she acknowledged the negativity) - every time she starts doing it, remind her that she is being negative and of your prior conversation.
2. Accept it and every time she starts being negative, think of your house payment and the fact that she is helping pay for it.

3. (Non-Professional) Get her pipes cleaned somehow:D

I've had to work with a few people like this. The trouble is, they don't see how the negativity in their words/actions brings everyone down because they are already there. What they are really trying to do is find some sort of common idea that they can share with the people around them..to fit in. Unfortunately, they believe, and really it's usually true, that it's easier to find something that collectively you both hate than something that you might like. Aren't human beings wonderful...;)

If she's making money, maybe she's earned her own office, one that effectively isolates her from you. Maybe she should be tasked with giving pointers on how to sell effectively to the rest of the employees, while this might give her something more to ***** about, it might keep her busy enough so that she'd shut up a while. I guess the boss has to decide whether the money she brings in is worth the bitching. Maybe she's not negative, maybe she's right & nobody listens. It's just a thought. Regards, GF.

Challenge every complaint she makes with an argument to the contrary. She may not quit her bitchin', but you'll be having fun.

No, don't do it! She will interpret this as flirting and you'll NEVER shake her.

And don't try the out-bitching approach, either. Might have the same affect.

The best approach is to give NO feedback whatsoever. Mumble incoherently at any personal or negative statement.

If you want to have a little fun, stare at her blankly as she speaks, then pause for a couple of beats before saying something completely nerdy (or perhaps creepy) and having absolutely nothing to do with what she was talking about.

Example:

Coworker: "So my daughter is dating this jerk and she'll probably end up pregnant and I'll have to take care of the little potlicker and my life will be ruined."

You: <pause> "Did you know that you have to inject oxygen into a furnace if you want to make steel? Otherwise, it won't get hot enough. But you don't have to do that for most non-ferrous forging."

(Or, alternately-- You: <pause> "I think clowns are neat, but only the real short ones. I REALLLLLLLLLLY like the real short ones." )

Then walk away.

Fun! :fro:

Back