First Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemicalcraig

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian dark strong ale after work on friday and pitched a yeast starter of white labs 1054 (rochefort) at around midnight. This is the first time I made a starter so wasn't sure I did everything right. The next morning at ~8 am, very little signs of activity. I went to seattle as usual for the weekend and just got back. When I opened the door to the ferm room I got a wonderful whiff of stale beer, which only meant one thing: fermentation.
ferm1.jpg

and the carboy:
ferm2.jpg

1st lesson learned: When using a blow-off tube, you need something bigger than a yogurt cup for a receiving vessel.:D
It's a good thing you used a blow-off tube, though. Looks good!

Evets said:
1st lesson learned: When using a blow-off tube, you need something bigger than a yogurt cup for a receiving vessel.:D
It's a good thing you used a blow-off tube, though. Looks good!

Yeah, no kidding. That's one of the bigger 32 oz. containers too. But I thought ahead and put the container in a big pot before I left for the weekend. Glad I did.

blacklab said:
Looks good! Hmmm...Willamette Valley / Seattle - you in the wine biz?

Not really, though I guess I should take advantage. I have a hard enough time keeping up with all the good beer and coffee around as it is, throw wine in the mix and I'll never get any work done!

I use a half gallon carboy to hold my blow off tube...though I've never had a beer blow up on me to the point a blow off tube was necessary. Maybe I have to start making bigger beers? Better starters?

Latest posts

Back