American Amber Ale Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ronjonacron said:
I think im about to brew another batch of this, its such a perfect medium of malty and hoppy. Im likely going to always have this around.

Edit- how many volumes are you carbing to? I finally got a kegerator and absolutely have to put a batch in it soon, will either be this or my belgian wit sitting in the primary now.

I haven't really measured my volumes of co2. I've only had 5 batches since getting my keezer. I've actually been so excited for everyone that I have just burst carbed each one to taste. It's been great

So I have had this beer on draft for a couple weeks now and the flavors keep changing. It's crazy. I thought it was good when i first kegged it but now it is amazing. I have brewed about 12 batches in my life and this is the best one. The finish on this beer is remarkable. It just keeps going. This is better than any commercial amber that I have ever tasted. Maybe my brewing practices are getting better at the same time but I love this recipe. I wish I had a 10 gallon capacity because I'm almost out.

I'm going to brew this tomorrow but I'm not sure what yeast I want to use. I picked up BRY-97 because the lhbs didn't have Denny's but I just remembered that the oatmeal stout I'm going to bottle tomorrow (coincidentally also your recipe Yooper)is on a Denny's yeast cake.

Would it be a bad idea to reuse the oatmeal stout yeast for this amber ale? I know that it's not recommended to go from dark to lighter beers when re-using a yeast cake but I think that I might get away with it for this recipe. I would be careful not to over pitch.

I just ordered the ingredients to brew this, I couldn't find those damn oats locally!

I brewed this with flaked oats because I couldn't find golden promise. I also opted to use Chinook, Amarillo, and a little centennial. Yeast was bry97.

I just poured my first pint and I'm in love with this beer! It has the perfect amount of malty goodness with a hint of chocolate and the blast of hops that I crave. Thanks for the recipe yooper!

Going to pick up the ingredients for this tomorrow. I made it a while back and it was fantastic.

I just finished Palmer's Water book, and am going to build from RO water using the "Amber Balanced" profile in Bru'n Water. My calcium, sulfate and chloride are all higher than in the original recipe, but in the green acceptable range in Bru'n Water. This will be my third batch adjusting water, but the first where I'm adjusting with little knowledge of what's going on, thanks to Palmer's book. The first two times I kind of blindly added CaCl2 and hoped for the best. Wish me luck!

EDIT: After running everything through Bru'n Water and getting the water additions, I read the rest of this thread. The additions Bru'n Water provided are pretty much identical to Yooper's recommended salt additions on p. 10 of this thread.

This recipe was my first ever ag brew. I used WLP01 as couldn't get the Denny's in the UK. Used Marris Otter pale malt and subbed in more pale malt for the oats as the ones I had weren't crushed and I don't have a grinder. Made an all grain starter the night before which was fun! Rookie mistakes aplenty in this brew. Mainly related to taking readings. Heated strike water up as per instructions and mashed in. Started out at about 153/4 but dropped to 151 for the majority of the mash. First runnings were extremely dark. Not expecting that at all. Got a lot of wort out with the 4 odd gallons of sparge water prescribed. Didn't measure volume before boil! Issue I had was not being able to maintain temp of mash water as I only have one pot. I heated sparge water to temp and the transferred to a bucket so I could capture the wort in the pot. Then I added bittering hops 15 mins before boiling (whoops). Boil was fine, and rest of hop additions went in ok. Cooled down ready for pitching in good time. I pitched, aerated and took my original gravity reading. I thought I had hit 1.085 when in fact I read the wrong part of the hydrometer (read approx sugar instead of specific gravity). I actually hit 1.068-70. However as I thought I had over hit my OG I decided to dilute the wort with another gallon of water. I sealed it up and it's been doing its thin now for a week. Today I took the first reading. I hit 1.015!! How did that happen? It's still very dark and pretty bitter but it tastes pretty decent. My wife was very surprised at how good it was and drank most of the sample! That chocolate malt is really coming through and the hops are great. I've sealed the fermenter back up and I'm going to leave it now until Christmas and bottle. I've got 6 gallons there :) Is it worthwhile to check the FG again tomorrow to see if it's finished? Based on the airlock activity I'd say it is.

Took an early sample after it has been in the keg on gas for a week and this stuff is AWESOME! Thanks, Yooper!

I'm kegging mine this weekend, it'll be 4 weeks in primary. I was going to keg it after 2 weeks at 65, but the gravity was still at 1.021 or so. Seems like others report that Denny's yeast can be a bit pokey, so no big deal. I warmed it up to 70 and wanted to check on it and keg it last weekend, but didn't have time with all my family in town for the holidays. Hopefully my gravity dropped a bit more when I check it tomorrow!

Subscribed; sounds like a great recipe. Maybe you could call it a Double American Amber?

Just curious, does the touch of pale chocolate malt play through in the flavor much?

Subscribed; sounds like a great recipe. Maybe you could call it a Double American Amber?

Just curious, does the touch of pale chocolate malt play through in the flavor much?

I've primed and bottled my batch and from the second week sample bottles I would definately agree that double amber is an excellent name for this beer! The chocolate malt definitely comes through. I used English pale malt instead of American so not sure if that combo affects the presence of the chocolate malt at all. I would probably dial it down a tad for my next brew just for preference but I mashed at a low temp so that may have something to do with the flavours I am getting!

I would thoroughly recommend you trying it though.

Thanks Yooper, I will be making this one again for sure! :mug:

Interesting, jidc. I find Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite 50) on nearly all the online brew supply sites. Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, Williams brewing, Midwest Supplies etc. When you say "mail order", do you mean you want to order through the mail from a catalog?

Just wanted to say that this recipe rocks! First beer in a long time that I'm immediately re-brewing once the keg kicks. Thanks! :rockin:

I agree. One of the best beers I've brewed and I just bought the ingredients to brew it again myself. It's awesome.

This is a really good beer. I have done two batches. One with wlp001 and the other with 1450pc and both are great. Thank you Yooper!

Gorgeous recipe, ain't a?

image-3082735529.jpg

I'll be brewing this recipe this weekend. My LHBS didn't have Denny's, so I went with wy1056. I honestly haven't used 1056 much, but I know it's a strong attenuator. Do you suppose I should mash a couple degrees higher (154°F) to offset the attenuation, or keep the mash the same?

Just kicked this keg. This was shared at many Christmas get-togethers and it was a big hit everywhere. Definitely making this one again and SOON!

Pretty fired up - this will be my first "Yooper" recipe. Ordered up from Brewmasters Warehouse today, plan to brew in 1 week. :)

Brew day went pretty well. A little low on the OG @1.060 but no worries. Did a FWH with the magnum. Color was great and reminded me of an amber I made last summer. Will pitch in a an hour or two with a 1.5L starter of Denny's 50. I have high expectations for this one. :)

Hydro sample said it was done on day 10. Bottled on day 15. HUGE aroma out of fermenter, the kind of beer which I (kiddingly) say I wouldn't mind dunking my head into, lol. First time with Dennys 50 and it appears to showcase the malt as advertised. Needless to say I washed some for future use. This is going to be really really good. :)

Brewed this today and had to much boil off and ended up with a little over 4 gallons in the fermentor. My wort measured 1.080 :drunk:
Don't know how this will turn out with such a high SG but I will report back In a month or so.

If you have too much boil off, all you have lost is water. You can add water back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you have too much boil off, all you have lost is water. You can add water back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Right I just wasn't too worried about it! A higher abv was cool with me. But one time I did add more water in the primary and the beer came out watery. Not sure that's why but I just left it alone this time.

Delicious. First time with Denny's 50 and I'm impressed. Ended up using it in a porter where it really shines also. Thanks Yooper! :mug:

YoopsAmber.jpg

Ended up mashing a bit lower than I wanted to and FG ended at 1.010 using S05, but the sample still tasted great.

Has anyone dry hopped this? I am thinking of using some cascade and maybe a small amount of Amarillo (maybe 1oz and .5oz respectively). Any suggestions from people who have had some success?

Ow much water.didyou use with this one? I am shooting for a 5 gallon batch.and aftering pouring over hundreds of recipes and doing tons of research, I am gonna do my first homebrew this weekend and will either do this one or your house brew. Thanks for all the advice you have given!

Ow much water.didyou use with this one? I am shooting for a 5 gallon batch.and aftering pouring over hundreds of recipes and doing tons of research, I am gonna do my first homebrew this weekend and will either do this one or your house brew. Thanks for all the advice you have given!

I use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain in the mash, and then sparge up to my boil volume. I start with 7 gallons for a 5 gallon batch in this system, but in my old system I started with 6.25 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.

I've primed and bottled my batch and from the second week sample bottles I would definately agree that double amber is an excellent name for this beer! The chocolate malt definitely comes through. I used English pale malt instead of American so not sure if that combo affects the presence of the chocolate malt at all. I would probably dial it down a tad for my next brew just for preference but I mashed at a low temp so that may have something to do with the flavours I am getting!

I would thoroughly recommend you trying it though.

Thanks Yooper, I will be making this one again for sure! :mug:

Second time with this recipe. Scaled back the chocolate just a tad and it's smelling and tasting amazing after 2 weeks in primary. OG was about 5 points off the original recipe but the wlp001 has taken it down below the predicted fg and it's all the better for being drier.

Anyone dry hopped this? Any suggestions the lady herself? I'd quite like a piny/fruity aromo and taste.

Back