Yeast freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
Liquid yeast is stupid expensive where I live... $12.99 pk for Wyeast. So today I'm at my LHBS and I see it on for $8.00 pk. I'd like to get 2 or 3 types and divide them out for freezing to drive down the overall cost. Is this feasible, and if so, what's the best way to do this.

I frozen a lot of yeast over the years and never needed to use any of it, so I don't even know if it is viable.

All the strains I have frozen, I have managed to keep viable by other means, and all are available to me today.

When I first use a yeast, I make a starter, I make it a quart bigger than I need. I then take the extra quart, drain the liquid, and store the yeast with distilled water in an 8 ozs mason jar in the fridge. I have found this saved yeast can be revived after 24 months (although I try and use it within 12).

When i use a yeast, I generally run a few beers with the same yeast, so I take some of the slurry from one beer and use it for the next one.

I have a couple of yeasts that I have used for 20 batches, and still have a fresh sample in the fridge.

Back