need a grain mill and advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion7144

Reaction score
I just found out my LHBS store will sell me a 50lb sack for nearly 2/3 the price of buying it by the lb so I need a mill. I am pretty handy with tools but have a hard time with the design phase of projects.

What I need is an inexpensive solution to build myself for a decent mill. Any suggesting would be appreciated.

Thanks

Here the the one I just finished building. It is the MM2. Pretty easy build. Could could even buy their hopper and make it easier.

Monster Mill Build.jpg

orion7144 said:
I just found out my LHBS store will sell me a 50lb sack for nearly 2/3 the price of buying it by the lb so I need a mill. I am pretty handy with tools but have a hard time with the design phase of projects.

What I need is an inexpensive solution to build myself for a decent mill. Any suggesting would be appreciated.

Thanks

I purchased a Barley Crusher. Current price is about $130. Adventures in Homebrewing (www.homebrewing.org) has one similar for about $100. There are other options available; it all depends on what your budget is.

I hope this might help. Mark

The barley crusher is a nice mill and has a lifetime waranty. I just wish when I bought it I went with the larger hopper option.

How much building do you intend to do? I purchased an old cabinet from the Salvation Army for $20 and mounted my Barley Crusher to it. I simply sawed a square hole the size of the BC's interior into the top (and a subsurface, as it turned out), marked and drilled two holes for through-bolting from the interior of the cabinet to the BC body, mounted a funnel I got with my first beer kit and slid in a bucket. Works great!
8373564446_5e7f519229_c.jpg

Kyle

How cheap do you want to go? I used a corona mill for the past year. Look for the thread "ugly junk corona mill" and you will see tons of ideas for this mill at about 30-40$ when done in a bucket.
I upgraded to a Monster Mill MM2 2.0 this past x-mas and will never go back to a corona. This mill is a beast, but costs over $200. To each his own......

Back