Urgent : seal my airlock hole on my bucket lid ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I did a unperfect hole on my lid to put my airlock, which need a silicone seal to be perfectly hermetic. The silicone seal was loosening so i had to remove it just before I start fermenting.

I don't have any more lid to put on the bucket while I redo the seal. And there is a lot of kreusen since it's only been 20 hours since I added the yeast.

Should I put a GE silicone II seal, from outside the lid around the airlock gasket without risking a contamination? I there something else I could put on...

Maybe like non-toxic kids clay ?

The amount of air going throught i very minimal.I mean, the hole is not perfectly regular but the rubbered/drilled stopper is firmly pushed.

I'm pretty relaxed, but when I didn't have a gasket to fit, I just duct taped my airlock sort of in place. :drunk: I wouldn't worry too much and long as fruitflies and the like can't get in there. It doesn't have to be perfect or airtight- really, "good enough" is good enough!

you should have pressure keeping the oxygen out, so as long as its not a giant hole I cant imagine any probelms

Thanks guys! Does your advice still apply even if have a primary of 2 weeks long ?

If the airlock doesn't have a good seal you probably won't see any activity.

how about just sanitize some aluminum foil or something similar and wrap it around the stopper to seal it up. Remember the stuff you want to keep out cant fly or crawl so as long as you dont have a hole stuff can drop into your fine.

Good. The storm has not passed. ;) The lid is now full of foam residus.. should I remove it and wash it ?

Nope. The more you open the lid the more chances you have to get an infection, wild yeast, etc.
Risist the urge to "help" the beer along.

Back