How to use gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I used gelatin for the first time the other day on a honey pale ale. I used one teaspoon and dissolved it into about a half cup of boiled water(i didn,t boil the gelatin). Once it cooled to near room temp i added it to my carboy. The beer was around 36F when the gelatin was added. I checked it yesterday and to my surprise it hadn't helped at all. Any suggestions

How did you check it? did you open it, or just decant some. as it clears all the cloudiness will drop to the bottom and be the first out of the tap, so it may be clearing. also did the jello completely dissolve or just gum up before pitching? I've done that before and it is less efficient that way.

It's not instantaneous for one thing. Also I tend to use a tablespoon in 1-2 cups of boiled but still hot water. Let it bloom for a few minutes then stir it up and dump it in. I swirl the keg after dumping it in and wait a few days. Give it 3-4 days and you should see a difference.

EDIT: Just reread your post. Have you racked your beer to a secondary or are you still on the yeast cake? I've never tried it on a yeast cake but I don't imagine it would work too well.

yea its already in the secondary. I think next time i will try 1 tablespoon in 1 cup instead of the teaspoon. so you usually put it in the keg not the secondary?

I don't use it often, usually when I want to serve it young to others who respond better to clear beer. I don't secondary so I use it in the keg. First pint or 2 is a little sludgy but after that its fine.

You used plenty, it probably just needs a little more time to do what it does. I use 1/2tsp in 1/4cup of pre boiled water... I put the gelatin in when the temp drops to about 140... mix it in well... give it 10-15 minutes to bloom... drizzle it in...

Back